Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

Monday 19th November 2018 at 7.00pm in the Mid Yell School

 

Present:                Mr L Odie (Chairman), Mrs A Jamieson (Vice-Chair), Mr R Jamieson & Mr A Priest.

In Attendance:    Mrs J Lyth (Clerk) & Ms F Browne (NICW)

Apologies:            Mr S Henderson, Ms L Cunningham, Mr J Nicolson & Mr G Hughson

Visitors:                Sean Haughey – LHEES Officer – SIC

 

11/18/3 VISITOR – MR SEAN HAUGHEY – LHEES Officer - SIC  

Sean came to talk to members about the Local Heat & Energy Scheme and in particular the Yell Heat & Energy Project. He presented the feedback from the questionnaire that went out to households in May 2018. This questionnaire gathered information about heating systems, costs, insulation, health and age of households and occupants. There is a back log of houses waiting to be assessed but they now have 2 domestic assessors and 1 commercial assessor, so they are hoping to get this waiting list down. He spoke about tariffs and providers and the help and assistance that is available from Citizens Advice. People can get information about switching providers from the Energy Helpdesk on 01595 744179. He then spoke about current projects they are working on like looking at the potential production of hydrogen and using the tidal project to power lights on the pier and installing a car charging point.

Members suggested using a couple of houses and a commercial property as show cases for the LHEES to really show off what can be done with a property.  Members suggested raising the profile of this project by putting it on FB or an article in the North Isles section of Shetland Times.

The Nova project is now up and running but it is not very well known in the community, members suggested publishing the result of output, but this could be commercially sensitive information.

There was a general discussion about the many different types of energy sources for households.

 

11/18/4 MINUTES

8 October 2018 – the minutes from the October meeting were approved by Mr A Priest & Mr R Jamieson.

Action: clerk forward to CC Liaison, Police and post on website

 

11/18/5 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Mrs A Jamieson & Mr R Jamieson declared an interest in Yell Welfare Trust.

Mr R Jamieson declared an interest in the proposed wind farm in North Yell.

 

Ms Browne to find out more information on declarations of interest for clarification.  To research the level of interest which should be declared and feed back to members after the cc elections.

 

11/18/6 COMMUNITY WORK

Locality Planning – the group are still gathering evidence in Yell, Unst and Fetlar.

Yell – there are no childminders in Yell so this is an issue for working parents.  Also looking to set up an ‘Open Doors for Businesses Day’ to attract folk to Yell.

Unst – also have a problem with childcare, although they do have some currently there is only one choice. The broadband in Unst is also a big issue.

Fetlar – they experience problems with transport and there is no adult learning on the island.

Fetlar Hall are looking for funding for a big project.

Whalefirth Men’s Shed are moving forward.

Uyeasound Hall are looking for a capital project.

Ms Browne sent through data on the median income as requested.

Members discussed the aging population and the effects it is having.

 

MR S HAUGHEY LEFT THE MEETING AT 8.05PM

 

Members then discussed the cc elections and the lack of new candidates. This was disappointing as the elections had been well advertised in the press and on social media. Members are frustrated at not being listened to and getting very little or no feedback from the SIC when they raise issues.

 

Members went on to have a lengthy conversation about conflicts of interest, where a conflict begins and where it ends. Mr Priest suggested that we contact the Standards Commission about codes of conduct.

 

 

NEW ITEM: SULLOM VOE MASTER PLAN

Shetland Islands Council is developing a ‘Sullom Voe Master Plan’ which will assess the potential future uses of the Sullom Voe Harbour Area. Cw2 are running a consultation for this process and in these initial stages would like to meet with community councils and key stakeholders to ensure they are included. Representatives are in Shetland from 27th November to 3rd December and hope to meet with as many parties as possible.

 

 

11/18/7 OUTSTANDING MATTERS

7.1 TRANSPORT

FERRIES – Outstanding matters

  1. Passenger figures for 1st Sept – now that the Yell Show has passed, YCC request the passenger data for Yell Show Day. To include passengers carried and those unable to transit. No reply to date. Clerk to find out how long we have been asking for this data.
  2. Bus & Ferry tt changes –. Clerk to check with Michael Craigie for any updates. No reply to date.
  3. Single ferry waiting for the bus – on Saturdays the town bus arrives at Toft in time for passengers to get the 8.45 ferry, ferry operations have now also queried why this can’t happen on weekdays too as this would eliminate this problem. Nothing further on this to date. Mr Odie has spoken to Cllr Thomson about this issue. Clerk to find GH suggestion to this and forward. Members discussed this further. This problem also occurs during the festive timetable.
  4. Booking Office closure – YCC were not aware of any notification that the booking office was going to close on Sundays. No reply to date
  5. Bookings after 6.30 – YCC query why the online bookings for the bookings only ferry finishes at 6.30 when you can book any other ferries for the evening after this time, surely if those bookings are being logged with the boat then the bookings only one can be logged too.
  6. Phone bookings – YCC also query why the phone bookings stop at 4.30pm when you can go into the office until 5.30 and book.
  7. Windy days – it is understood that the reason for the boat being tied up on windy days is due to the gangway blowing and being dangerous. YCC query why this is different in recent years and are concerned about the number of days the day boat is being tied up recently.

Action: clerk to invite Michael Craigie to next cc meeting

 

7.2 ROADS – Matters outstanding

  1. Brig at Stoness – YCC members met with roads dept to discuss the possibility of changing the proposed route of the brig at Stoness. The proposed plans will go ahead.
  2. Mid Yell Signs – The sign works in Yell, Fetlar and Whalsay have been prioritised now that the Dales Lees safety barrier works have been completed.
  3. Burravoe School Junction – at the sharp bend in Burravoe at the school there are no lines on the edge of the road. Reply: The Give Way road marking will be re-instated.
  4. 30mph signs at Hillend – still outstanding. Reply: as above at no. 2
  5. Flashing sign outside school – this sign was re-programmed and are now working.
  6. Roadworks cancellation – the road between Mid Yell and the Mid Yell junction was due to be closed on Sunday 16th for major roadworks. Due to this planned works some local events were cancelled. The road works then never happened with no notification. No reply. The road still needs to be resurfaced. Reply: the SIC communications section were informed of the cancellation but this did not get to the community.
  7. Double width – YCC query if the road between Mid Yell and the Mid Yell junction can be made double width for the whole length. Reply: Due to the increased usage of this road SIC are looking at the possibilities of improving the road and how to proceed with the maintenance.
  8. Paths – suggested paths were put forward to SIC and a list of active travel routes has been produced. Roads Dept will assess each route for Sustrans funding eligibility. Match funding will also need to be sought.

Action: clerk to find out how long items have been outstanding.

 

  • ROADS – Matters arising
  1. Cat’s Eyes – the cat’s eyes along the main road at West Yell are in a poor state or missing.
  2. Faded lines – the road marking lines between Ulsta and Westsandwick are now very faded.

Action: clerk to contact Roads dept

 

 

7.3 NHS SHETLAND

  1. Health & Care Project Yell – a proposed meeting has been set for Monday 26th YCC members to invite interested parties for this.
  2. Recruitment for carers in Yell – the carers posts have now been advertised and are on the Myjobscotland website and on the YCC FB page.
  3. GP post – nothing further to date.
  4. Nurse update – interviews were held at the end of September, nothing further to date.
  5. Dental list – YCC further query what progress is being made on the waiting list for dental patients. No reply to date.
  6. Costs of Social Care – YCC received this information and will be fed into the Yell Health & Care Project.
  7. Ambulance coordinator – new team leaders from the Ambulance Service are now coming to meet with YCC.

 

 

7.4 PROPOSED WIND FARM AT GLOUP

  1. Local Energy Scotland meeting – The previously cancelled meeting has now been re-scheduled for tomorrow evening (Tuesday 20th November). Mark Brennan & Stephen Young from Local Energy Scotland who look after the CARES schemes will discuss the ways to take this forward.
  2. Share Option – Energy Isles have now changed the original share option.

 

 

7.5 MID YELL POST OFFICE – Mrs Jamieson attended the Constituency Advice Surgery on 25th Sept. and discussed the problems of not having a main post office on the island, Mr Carmichael was unaware of the problems that this caused and will look into it further. Nothing further to date. Clerk to follow up

7.6 HORSA BUILDING, MID YELL – this is now been passed to Building Maintenance, there is intent to apply for a demolition warrant. Nothing further to date.

7.7 MID YELL PIER– Fendering –works scheduled for this financial year.

7.8 WAR MEMORIALS, MID YELL – the planning application has now gone live. Site plans were needed to be drawn up to go with the application which cost £38.40. Payment approved by Mr L Odie and Mr R Jamieson, money to be allocated from the raised funds.

7.9 MAKE A DIFFERENCE TRAINING – this has been put on hold until after the CC elections in November.

7.10 KSB BEACH REPORT – Mrs Jamieson to speak to local folk who have been involved with the beaches to discuss the issues raised in the report and the way forward with this.

7.11 YELL WELFARE TRUST – this dormant group still has approximately £700 in the bank account and has not been touched for many years. Members suggested that the balance could be transferred to the Yell Health Centre Support Group and then the group could be officially dissolved. This will be held over until the next meeting.

 

11/18/8 PLANNING LISTS/APPLICATIONS

2018/090/PPF to erect a 5kw turbine at Ulsta ferry terminal. YCC had concerns about this application. This application has now been cancelled

2018/315/PPF Church hall, Mid Yell - Change of use from church hall to dwelling house. YCC welcome this application.

 

 

CHURCH OF SCOTLAND CLOSURES – Hamnavoe kirk is on the list of closures by Church of Scotland. The folk in Burravoe are very concerned about this and are looking into the option of buying the kirk.

                Action: clerk to give Mr Anderson contact details for Ms F Browne who may be able to assist with the process

 

 

11/18/9 FINANCE/GRANTS

  1. Many funding emails were received.
  2. Ferry grant request was received for a wedding next June. This will be the last funding available for late hires. Approved by Mrs A Jamieson & Mr R Jamieson
  3. Ferry grant payment of £250 to Mr S Brown was approved by Mrs A Jamieson & Mr R Jamieson
  4. Redd Up cheques of £50 to the following groups were approved by Mr L Odie & Mrs A Jamieson;

North Ness Hall                          British Heart Foundation                 North Yell Social Club       1st Yell Guides                    Yell Children’s Disability Group                      Mid Yell Youth Club          Sellafirth Hall                      Mid Yell Hall       Burravoe School            Burravoe Youth Club         Vat-na-Ross Pier

  1. The following CDF grants were approved for payment by Mr L Odie & Mrs A Jamieson

Cullivoe Hall for £920 towards replacing the fryer

Sellafirth Hall for £220 towards painting the exterior of the hall.

  1. Road grant application was received but the applicant does not use this property for residential purposes, for this road the person in the other property would need to apply for funding. Application declined.
  2. Burravoe School applied for a grant of £250 to have slabs laid for a memorial bench in the school grounds which can be used by the community. Approved by Mrs A Jamieson & Mr R Jamieson

 

 

11/18/10 NEW BUSINESS

  1. Notice to Mariners - YCC received updated coordinates and clearance areas for the planned works by SSE.
  2. Unconventional Oil & Gas consultation – the Scottish Gov’t voted in favour of not supporting fracking in Scotland and they are now finalising its policy position on the development of unconventional oil & gas in Scotland. Further details can be found at: https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/fracking-unconventional-oil-and-gas
  3. SIC Customer Charter – YCC rec’d the customer charter from SIC, this shows the standards of service that should be delivered by all depts of SIC.

 

 

11/18/11 LEAFLETS/ANNUAL REPORTS

No leaflets were received.

 

11/18/12 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The car at the head of the voe has now been removed.

 

This is the last meeting with the current cc members. Mr Odie would like to thank the retiring members for all their hard work and dedication. He was also disappointed that there were no new candidates.

 

THE MEETING ENDED AT 22.20 HRS

 

The Next Meeting of Yell Community Council will be held on

 

Monday 10th December 2018 in the Mid Yell School at 7pm

 

Visitors - The are no planned visitors

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|