Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

 

Monday 15th June 2020 via Zoom Online Conferencing

 

Present:  Mr L Odie (Chair), Mrs A Jamieson (Vice Chair), Mr A Ross, Mr R Jamieson

            Apologies:       Mr J Nicholson, Mr S Henderson, Mr J Saunders

            In Attendance:             K Lonsdale (Clerk), Cllr Ryan Thomson (Elected Representative North Isles), Ms F Browne (North Isles Community Development Worker), Mr M Duncan (Community Liaison Officer SIC)

 

L Odie welcomed everyone to the meeting

 

6/20/1 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Mr R Jamieson declared and interest in the Energy Isles Windfarm item.

 

6/20/2 MINUTES

18th May 2020- The minutes for the May meeting were approved by Mr R Jamieson and Mrs A Jamieson

ACTION: clerk to forward to CC Liaison, NI Dvp Worker, Police, SIC Elected Representatives and post on the website.

 

6/20/3 UPDATE ON Community Anchor Organisation

Mrs A Jamieson provided an update on work being carried out by the CAO during the current pandemic.  The CAO comprises Mrs A Jamieson and Mr L Odie as representatives of YCC as well as members of the public across the island. Meetings are also attended by F Browne.

 

The CAO are progressing with their projects, assistance is being provided in the form of help to cover food costs and assistance with connectivity and fuel bills.

 

Volunteers and members have made around 90 phone calls to individuals identified as being particularly isolated or in need of companionship.

 

Volunteers across the island have produced fabric face coverings that the CAO and NYDC have coordinated distributing through the local shops or direct to people who requested them.

 

6/20/4 POLICE REPORT

YCC note the police report and thank PC Manson for submitting the report via email.

 

6/20/5 COMMUNITY WORK

F Browne reported that only 1 community organisation who were eligible in Yell have been unable to receive support from the Business Support Grants.

F Browne will contact local groups about the opportunity to apply for a CDF grant from the YCC, applications should be submitted to clerk before 15th July.

 

6/20/6 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS

6.1 TRANSPORT

Feedback from ferry meeting

L Odie briefed members on what was discussed at the ferry meeting held between the Yell and Unst Community Councils and John Smith, SIC, R Thomson, Elected representative North Isles. Attendees discussed the current restrictions on the ferries and the plan for returning to a near normal service to best suit businesses and plans for increased tourism.

Members were dismayed that the Dagalien was due to go to dry dock shortly and the Yell Sound crossing was to be covered with the small ferry during this time. .

 

S Henderson has submitted a draft timetable which members reviewed, which would be considered at the follow up meeting scheduled for 17th June.

 

The intended date to introduce a new timetable with fewer restrictions is 28th June.

 

6.2 ROAD

Members reported work taking place on a bridge between Cullivoe and Gloup

Work on the safety barrier at Sellafirth was scheduled to take place in mid to late July.  Members requested that the work be prioritised to happen sooner than this as safety is an issue.

ACTION:  Clerk to contact roads

 

Following an online meeting with the roads department YCC members believed that the planning restrictions placed on North Yell due to the quality of the road could be relaxed in future, however there has been no press release or public announcement of these changes.

ACTION: Clerk to contact roads to request update

 

6.3 NHS ISSUES

Nothing new to report

 

6.4 DEFRILLATOR LIST

Nothing new to report

 

6.5 KEEP SCOTLAND BEAUTIFUL BEACH AWARDS

Nothing new to report

 

6.6 REFUSE COLLECION AND LOSS OF JOB

YCC are very disappointed in the loss of two jobs from the North Isles and the lack of advertising the job.

Cllr R Thomson will meet with Mr John Smith, SIC, on Wednesday and will discuss YCCs concerns.

ACTION: Clerk to forward relevant emails to Cllr Thomson

 

6.7 ENERGY ISLES WINDFARM

Nothing new to report

 

6.8 MID YELL PIER TOILETS

Nothing new to report

 

6.9 AYWICK FOOTPATH

The Aywick footpath has been added to the Active Travel list.

 

6.10 BURRAVOE BUS SHELTER

No response regarding a request for a bus shelter at Hetherlea, Burravoe.

 

6/20/7 NEW BUSINESS

Skips- Cllr R Thomson requested that skips be provided to the North Isles in lieu of residents being unable to access the mainland facility due to travel restrictions for COVID-19.  The logistics are currently being discussed regarding the number of skips and how to monitor them to avoid misuse.   Cllr R Thomson will meet with Mr John Smith, SIC, this week.  YCC request input into the discussions to make most effective use of the skips and concerns about fly tipping

 

6/20/8 PLANNING APPLICATIONS

 

 2020/081/PPF The proposal is to remove the existing 6m mast and erect a 10m galvanised

monopole with associated equipmen at West Yellt.  YCC support this application

 

2020/082/PPF Erect a 10m Mast as part of the North Isles Fibre network to enable a link between Yell and Unst at the Cullivoe Pier. YCC Supports this application

 

07282 - North Yell Development Council (Per Arch Henderson LLP) - Construction of New Marina - Cullivoe Pier, North Yell, Shetland.  YCC supports this application

ACTION: Clerk to respond to application with comments

 

6/20/8 FINANCES

8.1 ROAD GRANTS

A Skinner- application to cover 90m of tarred road to access The Hooses, Cullivoe.

YCC approved a grant for the full amount of £540, proposed by L Odie and seconded by A Jamieson

 

8.2 DISTRIBUTION FUND

Application for CDF grants will be discussed at the next meeting.  F Browne to advertise to local community groups.

 

8.3 PROJECT GRANT

YCC secured funding of £1000 which will be used for the hire of 3 skips for Yell to be actioned later in the year.

 

8.4 ONLINE BANKING

Following advice from Michael Duncan YCC have agreed in principle to change the account to a business account that would allow the ability to use online banking providing the account does not incur additional charges. The change to business banking and online banking was proposed by Mr R Jamieson and seconded by Mr A Ross.

 

Michael Duncan is providing guidance for all Community Councils relating to online banking, expected next week after review.

 

6/20/9 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

Global Yell- Mr A Ross reported that Global Yell has received COVID 19 funding to remain open through to next year and is currently awaiting a funding decision from Creative Scotland on a project to run an online wellness festival.

 

HIAL and ASCC- Mr M Duncan informed members that HIAL are planning to correspond with Community Councils regarding the changes to the Air Traffic Control system. M Duncan and Cllr R Thomson urge that when asked YCC make comments as discussed at the last meeting.

 

The ASCC hope to have a meeting scheduled before September.

 

Business Resilience Forum- Cllr R Thomson reported on the Business Resilience Forum between the SIC, Loganair and North Link.  SIC are keen for the Loganair and North Link to follow in line with Scottish Government regulations regarding moving on to the next stage of opening up business and movement.

Fear within the community of increased business and tourism to Shetland, which could lead to a resurgence of COVID-19,  needs to be met with a balanced approach, emphasising the economic impact to Shetland of falling behind the rest of the UK

 

 

THE MEETING ENDED AT 21.17 HRS

 

The next meeting of the Yell Community Council will be held on

 

Monday 20th July 2020 via Zoom Online Conferencing.

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|