Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

 

Monday 18th January 2021 via Zoom Online Conferencing

 

Present:  Mr L Odie (Chair), Mrs A Jamieson, Mr J Saunders, Mr A Ross, Ms F Browne (North Isles Community Development Worker)



Apologies: Mr M Duncan, SIC Mr J Nicholson, Mr S Henderson

 

In Attendance: K Lonsdale (Clerk), Cllr R Thomson (Elected Representative North Isles), Cllr , Cllr D Anderson (Elected Representative North Isles), Mr M Smith, SIC

 

L Odie welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

1/21/1 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Mr J Saunders, Cllr R Thomson, L Odie declared an interest in the item Energy Isles Wind Farm. 

 

Ms F Browne declared an interest in the Herra Hall Application.

 

Clly R Thomson declared an interest in the Hillshop Planning Application.

 

1/21/2 MINUTES

14th December 2020- The minutes for the December meeting were approved by Mr L Odie  and Mrs A Jamieson.

ACTION: clerk to forward to CC Liaison, NI Dvp Worker, Police, SIC Elected Representatives and post on the website.

 

1/21/3 POLICE REPORT

No police report was received this month

 

1/21/4 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS (Due to the late arrival of some members the items on the agenda were discussed out of sequence)

 

4.3 NHS ISSUES

A Jamieson brought to the attention of the Community Council the possibility of Scottish Government funding to support prescription deliveries during the pandemic. 

 

Members were pleased to hear that Covid 19 vaccines are beginning to be administered to people in the community over 80 years old. 

 

Members would like to know what the contingency plan is for GP provision on to the island should health centre staff be required to isolate.

ACTION: Clerk to contact Lisa Watts, NHS

 

4.4 DEFIBRILLATOR LIST

Nothing to update

 

Ms F Browne joined the meeting at 19:40

 

4.5 REFUSE COLLECTION

Staffing- Members would like to know when Waste Services will be able to confirm the new post holders for both the posts filled and when they will take up the posts.  Members also queried whether the times of collection will change when the new employees take up the posts. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact Brydon Gray, SIC



West Sandwick beach bin- nothing to update.

 

Bottle bank Mid Yell- A Jamieson reported that the surrounding area had been cleared up and was no longer a significant danger but some broken glass remains under the bins. 

 

4.7 SKIPS

L Odie and A Jamieson will have a discussion with S Henderson regarding the logistics of skip provision for a future ‘skip day’

 

4.9 STREET LAMPS, GREENBANK RD

No response was received from the community council’s request for information regarding the removal of streetlights or the implementation of a temporary or permanent solution. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact D Coupe and N Hutheson, SIC

 

1/21/5 NEW BUSINESS

5.1 ASCC AGENDA ITEMS

Members would like to include ferry provision on the ASCC agenda. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact M Duncan, SIC

 

5.2 SINKING SAND AT BRECKON AND WEST SANDWICK BEACHES

After a resident reporting concerns about the safety of the sinking sand at Breckon Beach YCC posted a warning notice of the YCC Facebook page and will include the hazard when the risk assessment for the next beach applications are filled out. 

 

Members also recommend placing a notice on the information boards at both beaches and will look into the purchase of a sign post to highlight the issue on both beaches, with the land owners permission. 

ACTION: Clerk to get price quote for signage

 

5.3 DESIGNATED CAR SPACES- HAMNAVOE GRAVEYARD

Community members have brought concerns to the Community Council regarding the Hamnavoe South Yell Graveyard.  Residents are concerned that when the Kirk passes into private ownership the areas nearest to the gate to the Graveyard will be occupied by private vehicles making it difficult for those with limited mobility to visit the Graveyard. 

YCC would like to request that the two spaces closest to the main gate be designated parking spaces. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact D Coupe and N Hutcheson, SIC

 

Mr J Saunders and Mr M Smith joined the meeting at 20.00

 

1/21/4 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS CONTINUED

4.8 COMMUNITY BROADBAND UPDATE

Mr M Smith, SIC, informed Community Council members that the R100 scheme has confirmed that the sea cables will be laid to Unst and Yell ensuring that some people will receive Fibre to the Premise, but it is not clear yet how many homes will be included, however this information should be available by late January or early February. 

 

The SIC have made good progress on their fibre to council building project, for Unst and Yell. All the cable has been laid but still needs to be connected to the sea cables, this is expected to go live by the end of February. This is great news for the schools and health centres who are increasingly relying on internet connection to provide their services. 

 

YCC are interested in the outcome of a research paper being undertaken by the SIC which includes a mapping exercise of Shetland indicating what internet provision is like for different areas, this paper is expected to feed into SIC policy regarding the areas covered and omitted by R100.  The paper is expected to be completed in February and will be made available to the public shortly thereafter. 

 

M Smith reiterated from his attendance at a previous YCC meeting that he thinks it is unwise to take up the voucher currently being offered and to wait for the results of the outcome of  R100.  He also supports community led initiatives for future provisions. 

 

The SIC are hoping to be able to speed along BTs progress and having the SIC network in place should help with this. Members were disappointed that the halls were not included in the SIC network but understand that it has been a large undertaking to secure funding and support for the places that have been included such as the ferry terminals. 

 

Members were aware that during lockdown the SIC wifi network was severely taxed by people requiring a better connection for schooling or working from home.  The result has been a download limit placed on the network.  When the fibre comes online this should be removed. 

 

Members would be interested to hear how the health centre and their patients have found the move to online, video conferencing appointments and what the difficulties or opportunities have been. YCC will contact the health centre to ask about the ncreasing use of this and the opportunity of increased speed and connectivity.

ACTION: Clerk to contact Yell Health Centre

 

YCC have been pleased with the way Community Council meetings have been able to function online and would be keen to see aspects of it remain even when the return to in person meetings is possible.  It is beneficial for YCC to be able to have speakers such as M Smith attend from the mainland without them having to make the trip to Yell. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact M Duncan, SIC to advise that future guidance should take this into account

 

M Smith left the meeting at 20.25

 

4.3 NHS ISSUES CONTINUED

Members suggested bringing to the attention of Lisa Watt, NHS Shetland Primary Care Manager, that there are a number of unoccupied council properties in Mid Yell and that if there was low demand for them by the public that the NHS could approach SIC about allocating property to Health Centre staff in need of housing. 

 

1/21/5 NEW BUSINESS CONTINUED

5.4 COUNCIL HOUSING

Members raised concerns about the council housing policy allocation during the pandemic when residents in need of housing were told that it is not possible to house them because of Covid.   YCC would like clarification on when people are likely to start being provided with Council Housing. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact Housing

 

Cllr R Thomson and Cllr D Anderson arrived at the meeting 20.50

 

1/21/4 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS CONTINUED

4.1 TRANSPORT- FERRIES

Emergency timetable- Yell Community Council are very disappointed about the implementation of the emergency timetable which affects business on the North Isles and essential workers, including NHS workers, who use the ferries to commute. The change to the timetable has considerably impacted on the North Isels general haulage lorry which serves all three North Isels and affects shop deliveries.  Currently the salmon production is impacted by lower production but when processing increases the emergency timetable will unsuitable for their needs.

Cllr R Thomson informed the Community Council that Zettrans and the SIC would be contacting stakeholders and local businesses this week to discuss adjustments to improved the emergency timetable.  There are a number of issues affecting the decisions, such as the maximum length of work day for crews and the maximum time at sea but Cllr Thomson believes there are changes that can be made to the timetable to make it better for businesses in the North Isles. 

Cllr Thomson also explained that the decision to move to the emergency timetable is not related to the level Shetland has been placed in but it is related to the spike in local COVID cases which needs to be brought under control.  Recent reports that the timetable would be returning to normal were made after comments from NHS Shetland that the virus was under control in Shetland.  Sellaness are not convinced that that is the case and the safety of their crews are important, Cllr Thomson indicated that the return to the normal timetable would only occur once NHS Shetland believes the local spike to have passed and when Sellaness are assured the crews will be safe and the service will be resilient. 

 

YCC are unhappy with the lack of consultation so far regarding the timetable changes. Previously CC members have discussed a single vessel timetable that could have been used and L Odie suggested a 2 vessel timetable may be possible.  YCC will feed this back to the consultation this week. 

 

Safety of crews and resilience of service- L Odie has been raising concerns about the resilience of the ferry service since the start of the pandemic and YCC believe that more could have been done to ensure the resilience of the service before the emergency timetable had to come into effect.  Tighter and smaller bubbles for the crews would reduce the amount of staff that could have to isolate should Track and Trace contact a crew member. YCC will feedback their concerns to the consultation. 

 

Ferry Fares- YCC are still receiving complaints about incorrect invoicing from the ferries.  Although this has been put down to admin error it is a major inconvenience to travellers. 

Cllr Thomson assured that when smart ticketing machines are deployed on the Yell Sound this should no longer be an issue, the machines are able to distinguish between discounted and undiscounted travel.  Travellers are asked to bear with the system and check the invoices until the Smart Ticketing is in place. 

 

Community Runs- Cllr Thomson will find out how many community runs YCC can expect next year. 
No response from Sellaness was received regarding the splitting of community runs but M Duncan, Community Coucnil Liason Officer SIC, advised that he thought this would not be possible due to insurance and liability issues. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact Fiona Faquar, SIC

 

4.2 ROADS

Cullivoe Road Land Acquisition- Landowners names were submitted, nothing to report

 

Resurfacing plan- delayed by Covid, no update

 

West Sandwick Graveyard Road- Burial Services are aware of the issue and informed YCC that the road would be improved in the future but could not give details of when. 

 

Sign at the head of Mid Yell Voe- Still missing, no update

 

Water on road, Mid Yell- the issue was dealt with swiftly, shortly after last months YCC meeting

 

Water by Ulsta Bus Stop- A large puddle of standing water remains in front of the bus stop at Ulsta making it difficult for passengers. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact D Coupe and N Hutcheson, SIC, with all ongoing road issues.

4.6 ENERGY ISLES WIND FARM

Communication took place between YCC members and Unst Community Council to understand their reasons for suggesting the CBF to be allocated to the Shetland Community Benefit fund and be divided between all Shetland Community Councils. It is the view of YCC that the CBF, from the Energy Isles project, remains allocated to the three North Isles and distributed according to population size and the impact of the disturbance. 

 

Since L Odie has veen approached about using his land for output from the windfarm and he therefore has to declare a conflict of interes, YCC are no longer quorate to discuss or vote on issues relating to the wind farm.  L Odie will contact M Duncan to discuss this and the opportunity of co-opting new members to YCC. 

 

1/21/6 PLANNING LISTS/ APPLICATIONS

2020/280/PPF Change of Use application from 'shop to licensed cafe incl. shop store' and 'public bar to shop'. Hilltop Bar, Mid Yell, Yell, Shetland ZE2 9BJ

YCC supports this application

 

2020/260/PPF Erect a 10m Telecoms Mast and associated equipment Gutcher Ferry Terminal, Yell, Shetland,

YCC supports this application

1/21/7 FINANCE/ GRANTS

8.1 HERRA HALL APPLICATION

YCC are unable to make a decision about this application at present. 

 

8.2 MUD KITCHEN GRANT

YCC would need to see completion of the project before issuing the funds and a receipt for the purchases needs to be submitte

 

THE MEETING ENDED AT  21:47HRS

 

The next meeting of the Yell Community Council will be held on

 

Monday 15th February 2021 via Zoom Online Conferencing.

 

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|