Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

 Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

 

Monday 20th January 2020 in the Mid Yell School

 

Present: Mr L Odie (Chair), Mrs A Jamieson (Vice-Chair), Mr S Henderson, Mr R Jamieson, Mr J Saunders

         Apologies: Mr J Nicholson, Mr A Ross, PC A Manson

In Attendance: Ms F Browne ( North Isles Development Worker), K Lonsdale (Clerk)

Visitors: Mr T Coutts (Business Development Project Manager, SIC), Miss J Dickie, Mid Yell JH School

 

Mr Odie welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

01/20/1 MINUTES

16th Dec 2019 – The minutes from the December meeting were approved, by Mr R Jamieson and Mr S Henderson

Action: clerk forward to CC Liaison, NI Dvp Worker, Police, SIC Elected representatives  and post on website

 

11/19/2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Mr R Jamieson, Mr S Henderson, declared an interest in the item on Proposed Wind Farm at Gloup.

Mr L Odie, Mr R Jamieson, Mr J Saunders and Mr S Henderson declared an interest in the Cullivoe Up Helly Aa grant application.

Mr L Odie declared an interest in the Burravoe Hall grant application

 

01/20/3 POLICE REPORT

No police report was made at this meeting due to PC Manson being on holiday

 

01/20/4 Visitors- Mr Tommy Coutts, Business Development Project Manager, SIC, attended the meeting to discuss the request YCC had made re developing a questionnaire to be sent to local business. 

 

11/19/4 COMMUNITY WORK F Browne

Locality Planning Questionnaire

Mr T Coutts and Ms F Browne discussed YCC’s request for a questionnaire to be drafted to ascertain the issues that most affect local businesses on the North Isles and how they impact social and economic growth on the Isles.  This could supplement the information previously collate on Locality Planning regarding individual residents. The information gained from such a questionnaire could be used to provide evidence for local planning, policy setting and sourcing funding.  It was accepted that given the small nature of the sample size statistics were difficult to analyse. It would be important for CCs to aid in the collection of as much data as possible by encouraging employers to participate in order to get an accurate representation of problems and issues affecting businesses.  CCs felt that it would be beneficial not only to include private sector businesses but also public sector services, such as schools and care centres, as well as business from the mainland who operate in Yell 

The main areas agreed to focus on are transport links, connectivity links, recruitment, housing and childcare.

ACTION: F Browne and T Coutts to draft a questionnaire for approval by YCC

ACTION: F Browne to collate a list of appropriate businesses to target

 

T Coutts left the meeting at 8.05pm

 

Dial a Ride- There has been no response to date. F Browne to follow up

Childcare- There has been no further development but it CCs felt that including childcare issues in the locality planning business questionnaire was important. 

 

01/20/5 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS

 

5.1 FERRIES

CC runs- Applications have come in for Community Council ferry runs for the next financial year.

ACTION: Clerk to get confirmation on community council allocation for the next financial year.

Vehicle figures- YCC agree that as there is no simplified version of the data showing the number of vehicles left behind that they will request to have the full data every three months.

ACTION: Clerk to request figures from Sheena Summers

Weekly Maintenance timetable- YCC to consider a suitable day to change the weekly maintenance and then submit at the next meeting at Sellaness.

ACTION: Draft single vessel timetable, Mr S Henderson to work up improvements to Single vessel timetable to be used in times of disruption.

Weather Disruptions- It was felt that it would be useful to have a log of all recent weather disruptions to the ferry service to discuss at the meeting at Sellaness in February.

ACTION: Mr L Odie to log disruptions

Orange ferry tickets- Mrs A Jamieson raised queries over the introduction of new orange tickets for OAPs. YCC to request the SIC to provide the reasoning behind change for OAPs.  YCC would like people to still have the ability to purchase the OAP tickets online. If the reason for the change is fraudulent use of the tickets then evidence of entitlement would need to be provided and checked when the ticket was handed over on the ferry

ACTION: Clerk to contact ferries to find out more about the rationale for change in order to allow purchase online.

Ferry Meeting- Sellaness- Mr L Odie, Mr R Jamieson and Mr S Henderson will meet with the ferry department again on 17th February to discuss the ongoing ferry issues.

ACTION: Clerk to confirm meeting and attendees. 

Service information message- YCC requested a change to the standard service status message to make it more informative to users.  No response.

ACTION: Clerk to chase up response

 

5.2 ROADS

Aywick Shop  There is still no warning sign at the junction between the shop and the road to the Haa, Aywick.

 

Mid Yell Serious Dip in Road at ‘Back of Ness’  This item is still outstanding although SIC have indicated that they will attend to it in due course

 

Road Sign at Head of Mid Yell Voe YCC note that the road sign at the head of Mid Yell voe has been removed.  

ACTION: YCC Clerk to ask SIC when a replacement will be put in place

 

Hillend, Mid Yell road  The road to the Water Treatment Works in Hillend is in a poor state.  Residents have asked Mrs A Jamieson to bring this to YCC’s attention. This road serves 4 domestic dwellings and the water treatment facility.  This is currently an unadopted road although it appears there was an agreement in place for Scottish Water to maintain the road. Residents will provide more information to the February meeting   Ongoing

 

Seafield, Camb road.  YCC welcome the recent improvements to this road.  However, recent high tides and inclement weather have caused further damage which needs attending to.  

ACTION: Clerk to contact SIC re this issue.

 

Crash Barrier at Sellafirth bend.  YCC note that the crash barrier at the corner at Bayanne needs repair  

ACTION:Clerk to contact SIC re this

 

5.3 UPGRADE OF CULLIVOE TO GUTCHER ROAD

YCC would appreciate an update of the current state of the project.  The request was made last month for the information from the drop in session to be published online and there has been no response on this issue.

ACTION: Clerk to request an update on the project

 

5.4 NHS- HEALTH AND CARE PROJECT

YCC updated the health and care group via email about the current position of the project. YCC notes that the Care Centre is a valuable and necessary part of the community and appreciates the essential role it plays for the clients who need it.  Although there has been no further update with the project the item will remain on the agenda.

ACTION: Clerk to invite Dr Halloran to a future meeting

 

5.5 AMBULANCE

No update

ACTION: Clerk to invite Mr A Galbraith to February meeting

 

5.6 MID YELL PIER- FENDERING

After a productive meeting between pier users and the project manager, SIC responsible for the fendering project a new proposal was put forward to be discussed.  Pier users welcome improvements to the pier.

ACTION: Once pier users have reviewed the proposals, outcome to be sent to SIC

 

5.7 KEEP SCOTLAND BEAUTIFUL BEACH AWARDS

A meeting has been arranged for 24th January to discuss applications for both Sands of Breckon and West Sandwick beaches. YCC has £1000 of CDF money to spend making improvements to the beaches in line with suggestions made in last years beach report.  Some upgrades have been implemented and the cost of these will be included in the above. The applications are due the 28th February.

ACTION: Clerk to submit applications in February and action outcome of meeting

 

5.8 NORTH YELL WIND FARM- STATKRAFT

Memorandum of Understand- YCC reviewed the Memorandum of Understanding submitted by Statkraft In principle YCC supported the detail however the members of the group may not be members of the Yell Community Council, it may be members of the local community development groups.

Public meeting- A meeting is to be help to discuss proposed updates to the wind farm proposals on 4th February at 7pm in the Cullivoe Hall

ACTION: Clerk to advertise meeting on YCC Facebook page 

 

5.9 WHITE WIFE

The White Wife figure head which is badly deteriorating is still in situ awaiting removal for restoration.

ACTION: Clerk to email Shetland Amenity Trust to get an updated timescale

ACTION: Clerk to contact Mr Johnson to update

The interpretive boards that accompany The White Wife and the Catalina are in need of restoration.  Following advice from Ms F Browne, YCC will apply to the SAT to have these renewed.

ACTION: Clerk to contact SAT 

 

5.10 GRASS CUTTING AT OLD WEST SANDWICK KIRKYARD

No update

 

5.11 YELL TOURIST LEAFLET

No update

 

5.12 REFUSE COLLECTION AND LOSS OF JOB

YCC is disappointed that there has been no response to emails regarding the potential loss of two jobs from the North Isles.  It was felt that in light of the discussions about locality planning that a further email could be sent highlighting this aspect. 

ACTION: Clerk to email Brydon Sinclair and cc Colin Bragg, SIC

 

5.13 YOUNG MEMBERS OF YCC

Miss Jessic Dickie attended the meeting as she is interested in becoming an additional member of the YCC. As an additional member, she could bring to light more issues that affect the youth of Yell.

 

5.14 CAB- GREENER WARMER HOMES

No Update

ACTION: Clerk to invite a representative to next meeting

 

1/20/6 PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Planning ref 2019/358/VCON

Proposed variation of Condition 3 of Planning Permission 2018/331/PPF, to enable the developer to put forward proposal for either road improvement works to road B9082 Cullivoe Road including link road to Cullivoe Pier or proposal to transport material or plant to Cullivoe Pier by sea, both for construction phase of approved development- YCC Supports this application

 

1/20/7 FUNDING/GRANTS

 

7.1 CDF Grant requests- the grants are conditional on the work being completed and receipts provided by 13th march 2020

  1. Cullivoe Up Helly Aa- applied for a grant to make upgrades to the gallery shed and produce information boards for an exhibition in the summer, estimate cost £5600.  Grant of £2300 approved by Mrs A Jamieson and Mr L Odie
  2. Mid Yell Hall- applied for a grant to purchase equipment for the kitchen, estimated cost £1027.  Grants of £500 approved by Mrs A Jamieson and Mr R Jamieson
  3. Burravoe Hall- applied for a grant to purchase drainage pipes, estimated cost £2000.  Grant of £1000 approved by Mrs A Jamieson and Mr R Jamieson
  4. Whalefirth Men's Shed- applied for a grant to purchase construction materials to make necessary improvements, estimated cost £500.  Grant of £400 approved by Mrs A Jamieson and Mr R Jamieson

7.2 YCC issued a cheque for £900 to the Mid Yell Hall for previous grant application.  Proposed by Mr R Jamieson and Mrs A Jamieson.

7.3 YCC proposed giving the remaining funds raised for the War Memorials project to the East Yell Methodist Chapel for the work they have done and could be used for any future maintenance to the war memorials.  Proposed by Mr L Odie and seconded by Mr R Jamieson.

7 Community Council ferry Runs

Once confirmation is received in writing from SIC the following community rens could be approved

  1. Folk festival- Saturday 2nd May 1 am- Approved by Mr R Jamieson and Mr S Henderson
  2. “Beat it Festival”- Sunday 10th May- 1:30am- Approved by Mr R Jamieson and Mr S Henderson

 

1/20/8 NEW BUSINESS

 

8.1 COMMUNITY COUNCIL COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE

Due to lack of time this item will be discussed at the February 17th meeting

 

8.2 ASCC AGENDA ITEMS

YCC wish to add ‘Inter Island Transport Links’ to the ASCC agenda.

ACTION: Clerk to respond to Michael Duncan with suggestion 

 

8.3 CULLIVOE BOTTLE BANK

Mr S Henderson expressed concern about the removal of the bottle banks for the Cullivoe hall.

ACTION: Clerk to contact Brydon Sinclair , SIC to source a replacement

 

THE MEETING ENDED AT 22:20 HRS




The Next Meeting of Yell Community Council will be held on 

 

Monday 17th February 2020

 

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|