Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

Monday 20th August 2018 at 7.00pm in the Mid Yell School

 

Present:                Mr L Odie (Chairman), Mrs A Jamieson (Vice-Chair), Mr R Jamieson, Mr S Henderson & Mr G Hughson.

In Attendance:    Mrs J Lyth (Clerk) & Ms F Browne (NICW)

Apologies:            Mr J Nicholson & Ms L Cunningham

Visitors:                There were no visitors

Mr Odie welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

08/18/3 MINUTES

16 July 2018 – the minutes from the July meeting were approved by Mr R Jamieson & Mrs A Jamieson.

Action: clerk forward to CC Liaison, Police and post on website

 

08/18/4 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Proposed Wind Farm, North Yell: Mr S Henderson & Mr R Jamieson are shareholders and so declare an interest.

 

Members discussed the issue of declarations of interest and conflicts of interest and agreed that more clarity was needed for this. Ms Browne will find out more information for clarification.

 

8/18/5 COMMUNITY WORK

Shetland Partnership Plan 2018-2028 has been received. The plan can be viewed here: Partnership Plan

Locality Planning – the group are trying to get all the agencies on board and getting more involvement. Some quick wins have already been put in place. They are also hoping to do some Treasurer Training and Governance Instructions for groups shortly.

 

8/18/6 OUTSTANDING MATTERS

At the YCC meeting in July John Smith, Director of Infrastructure SIC noted many of the local issues and concerns and will be reporting back to members in due course. This reply is still outstanding so will be carried over to the next meeting.

 

6.1 TRANSPORT

FERRIES – Outstanding matters

  1. Bookings for Community Hires – it was understood that the booking office would take bookings as normal for community hires, this was not the case recently. Clerk to query this. No reply to date.
  2. Community Hire Yell Show – the community run that was requested and approved by members last month for 2x double runs using the remained 2 community hires was turned down by Sella Ness. They have changed the timetable for Sat 1st Sept to get in one extra run in the morning and another in the afternoon. This still leaves 2 community runs available. The changes have been made on the ferry booking system also.

 

6.1 FERRIES – Matters arising

  1. Late Hire Grant – members agreed to set the amount for late hire grants at £250. This will continue until the ferry fund has been depleted. There is currently £1907.55 in the ferry fund which will allow 7 grants at £250 and an allowance can be made for the balance of £157.55
  2. North Isles Ferry Service – feedback data for the consultation on the North boat was received, details can be found using this link: Northern Isles Ferry Service data
  3. Community Run T&C – members discussed the wording for the website which has now been amended to reflect the new terms and conditions.
  4. Bus & Ferry tt changes – members discussed the intended tt changes and the impacts they will have, both positive and negative.
  5. Monday to Friday timetable – YCC further request that the ferries also run to a Monday to Friday timetable and move the maintenance to the weekend. YCC query what jobs are done to the boats on Mondays and if there is any reason this couldn’t be done at the weekend.
  6. Single ferry waiting for the bus – the issue of the bus not tying into the ferry in the case of breakdown was again raised by Unst CC. YCC fully support the suggestion that in these cases the ferry waits for the bus to get people where they need to be.
  7. Passenger figures for 1st Sept – after the event, YCC request the passenger data for Yell Show Day. To include passengers carried and those unable to transit.

 

6.2 ROADS – Matters arising

  1. Brig at Stoness – YCC members would like to discuss the plans for the Brig and look at the possibility of re-aligning the suggested route for this. Clerk to contact Ian Smith for meeting with North members.
  2. Mid Yell Signs – There is still no sign for Mid Yell at the head of the voe. This sign has been missing for a considerable time and is also the sight of an accident in recent months. YCC query if there is no sign for the junction this then becomes a safety issue and queries the liability in the case of accidents.
  3. Burravoe School Junction – at the sharp bend in Burravoe at the school there are no lines on the edge of the road. This bend has a low curb which is not easy to see and someone not knowing the road might think this is a double width road.

 

6.3 NHS SHETLAND

  1. Dental services – YCC query what progress is being made on the current waiting list in Yell and when patients who left the practice to seek treatment elsewhere will be likely to go back to the Yell practice. No reply to date.
  2. Health & Care Project Yell – Lisa Watt attended the Unst Health Centre patient group, previously noted as the Unst CC in error. YCC request any update available please. No reply to date.
  3. Care Centre – an advert for the jobs at Isleshavn will be going into the Shetland Times on 24th YCC to also put on the YCC FB page. There are local concerns that the Care Centre will close and this is causing low morale. The manager retires later this year, YCC query if there are plans to advertise the job. Jaine Best, the new Executive Manager for Community Care Resources is coming to the next YCC meeting in September with Simon Bokker-Ingram.
  4. Yell Health Centre Newsletter – YCC to request to go onto the Yell Health Centre mailing list for the newsletter.
  5. GP update – YCC request any update on the GP position.
  6. Nurse update – YCC request any update available of the nurse vacancy now that Linda has retired.
  7. Views on Dental Services - Mrs Jamieson was to attend a session in Brae on 29th August about gathering views on Dental Services but this has been cancelled. She will attend a 1:1 session in Lerwick at a later date.

 

 

6.4 PROPOSED WIND FARM AT GLOUP

  1. Cares meeting - The meeting with the Cares Development Officer was postponed due to the weather and re-scheduled for the end of July. Ms L Cunningham, Mrs A Jamieson and Mr G Hughson will attend. No feedback from this to date.
  2. Questionnaire - Clerk to contact Energy Isles for a copy of the questionnaire that was available at the public meetings and query when the results/outcomes of these will be available. No reply to date.
  3. Letter received – Mr Odie read the letter that was received and noted at the last meeting and the reply that he sent. He also then read a further email from the same person. These were concerns of the negative effect that such a large wind farm would have. YCC welcome all feedback about the proposed wind farm.
  4. Ethics and Training – Michael Duncan contacted Mr Odie with concerns of the ethics of YCC members being involved with the Wind Farm, there may be training available for this, he will look into this issue further.

 

6.5 YELL HEAT & ENERGY PROJECT – YCC have requested Sean Haughy to attend a YCC meeting with an update. No reply to date.

6.6 MID YELL POST OFFICE – Clerk wrote to Alistair Carmichael for any update. No reply to date.

6.7 HORSA BUILDING, MID YELL – this is with Mr J Smith, no reply to date.

6.8 MID YELL PIER– awaiting replies from Mr J Smith. Members noted that the skip on the pier was full once again and SIC have been notified of this.

6.9 WAR MEMORIALS – the group are meeting tomorrow night. Currently waiting for consent from Church of Scotland. As this is a listed building there are many issues to deal with.

6.10 MAKE A DIFFERENCE TRAINING – this has been put on hold until after the CC elections in November.

6.11 WHITE WIFE – the White Wife is due to be picked for refurbishment up later this week and the replica put in it’s place.

 

8/18/7 PLANNING LISTS/APPLICATIONS

Full approved work licences to replace the submarine electricity cables from Mossbank to yell and from Yell to Unst were received and noted. The licences are valid from 1st October 2018 to 31st March 2019.

2018/195/PPF – to construct 2 new dwelling houses with air sources heat pumps at the site of the former North Isles Motel, Sellafirth. YCC welcome this application.

 

 

8/18/8 FINANCE/GRANTS

  1. The year-end accounts for 2017/18 have now come back from VAS after being independently examined. Members queried if they had been formally approved. Clerk to check previous minutes.
  2. A cheque was written to VAS for £50 for the IE of the year end accounts.
  3. A cheque was written to Westsandwick Hall for £14 for the hall hire.
  4. A ferry grant of £250 was approved by Mr R Jamieson and Mrs A Jamieson for a wedding hire on 14.07.18 and a cheque was written.

 

8/18/9 NEW BUSINESS

  1. October meeting – the clerk will be on holiday for the October meeting, members agreed to move the date to 8th October and the venue to Mid Yell School.
  2. CC Election leaflets – Ms F Browne will meet with the clerk to produce a leaflet for the CC elections.
  3. Scottish Water Consultation – Scottish Water are undertaking a consultation exercise on the spending priorities over the next 25 years. Details can be found using the following link: co.uk/spending consultation
  4. Use Water Wisely – Scottish Water launched a campaign to help save water during the very long dry summer. Details can be found using the following link: co.uk/use water wisely
  5. Developers Workshop – the next Developers Workshop will be help on the 11th September
  6. GDPR – SIC are currently working on the retention of paperwork by CCs.
  7. Community Learning Exchange – a fund is available through Scottish Community Alliance to help a community group to go and visit another community that is doing something of interest to them. Further information can be found via the following link: org.uk/community-learning-exchange
  8. Focus Group – YCC received an invitation to attend a focus group for locality planning on 10th Some members would like to attend, clerk to find out what time this would be.

 

 

8/18/10 LEAFLETS/ANNUAL REPORTS

The latest Police Report was received and is available on the website: shetland-communities.org.uk/subsites/ycc/Police

The latest newsletter from the Scottish Health Council was received and noted.

The latest newsletter from Scottish Rural Alliance was received and noted.

 

8/18/11 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Access to Cash Review – with the decline of cash and the rise in digital payments, a review will take place to investigate people’s requirements for cash over the next 5-15 years. There is a meeting on 5th October at Islesburgh Community Centre. Further details of the review can be found at: www.accesstocash.org.uk

 

THE MEETING ENDED AT 21.40 hrs

 

The Next Meeting of Yell Community Council will be held on

 

Monday 17th September 2018 in the Mid Yell School at 7pm

 

Visitors – Jaine Best – Executive Manager, Social Care Services and Simon Bokker-Ingram -

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|