Yell Community Council   Yell Community Council
Yell Community Council

Minutes of Meeting of Yell Community Council

 

Monday 19th April 2021 via Zoom Online Conferencing

 

Present:  Mr L Odie (Chair), Mrs A Jamieson, Mr R Jamieson, Ms K Hannay

 

Apologies: Mr S Henderson, Mr A Ross, Mr J Nicholson, PC A Manson, Cllr D Anderson (Elected Representative North Isles), Mr J Saunders.

 

In Attendance: K Lonsdale (Clerk), Cllr R Thomson (Elected Representative North Isles), Ms F Browne (North Isles Community Development Worker), Ms Sarah Johnston and Ms Mari Grains (Representatives from Scam Busters), Mr Andrew Mayhew (Paramedic Team Leader Scottish Ambulance Service), Mr Marcus Shearer (Area Service Manager Scottish Ambulance Service)

 

L Odie welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

4/21/1 PRESENTATION BY SCAM BUSTERS REPRESENTATIVES

Sarah Johnston and Mari Grains gave members a presentation on the work of ScamBusters to help raise awareness, give advice and support people who might be affected by phone, internet, text or postal scams.   In normal circumstances ScamBusters would hold roadshows and attend shows to raise awareness, obviously this hasn’t happened during the pandemic.  

ScamBusters partners with all the financial institutions in Shetland, the Citizens Advice Bureau, the police, The Public Protection Committee and Trading Standards. 

Ms Johnston explained to members the type of scams they commonly see in Shetland and advised on how to deal with them and who to report scams to. 

ACTION: Clerk to post information to YCC Facebook page

Ms Grains informed members of training opportunities, information packs and devices that would help to provide people with the confidence to identify scams.

The ScamBusters team sends out an email alert periodically with information about current scams affecting Shetland and how to deal with them. 

ACTION: Clerk to post information to YCC Facebook page

Members felt that the information provided was very useful and relevant to Yell residents.

 

SJ and MG left the meeting at 20:05

AM and MS joined the meeting 20:05

 

4/21/5 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS

5.1 NHS ISSUES

Ambulance- Mr Andrew Mayhew from the Scottish Ambulance Service attended the meeting to answer concerns raised by members after recent discussions regarding gaps in ambulance provision in Yell.

Members were assured by A Mayhew that although there are currently gaps in service provision, recent appointments of 4 new drivers and 2 new coordinators should hopefully lead to a fuller provision.  The new appointments are currently in the PVG screening process and will start after they have completed the training process.

Members reported that when there have been gaps in cover and the mainland ambulance has been called this has led to long waits for patients and their families without a clinician present.  A Mayhew told members that it is the healthboards policy that a GP or nurse authorise the ambulance and then attend to the patient until it’s arrival and it is unfortunate that this has not been the case.  This could be due to the disruption around GP provision in Yell and should SHB be successful in recruiting a full time GP the situation may resolve. 

Members were reassured to hear that the ambulance is deep cleaned by the crews after every patient to a high standard and is checked regularly. 

Concerns were raised about ambulances having to wait for ferries when transporting non-emergency patients and members asked if it would be possible to give the ambulance a priority on the ferry.  A Mayhew offered to consult with Sellaness but the feeling is that they may be reluctant to disrupt the ferry timetable for non emergency travel. Local employers are very supportive of their employees attending call outs, but when they are called to non emergency call this can impose on the workplace. A Mayhew explained the priority process for call outs. 

M Shearer informed YCC that the vehicle in Yell has been reviewed and funding has been identified to replace it with a newer vehicle and equipment.  This process is underway. 

Members thanked the service for attending the meeting and for the excellent service provided by their crews at all times and especially during a difficult period through COVID. 

 

AM and MS left the meeting 20:25

 

4/21/2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

R Jamieson, Cllr R Thomson, L Odie, declared an interest in the item Energy Isles Wind Farm. 

 

L Odie declared an interest in the Burravoe School SCBF grant application

 

R Jamieson declared an interest in the Cullivoe Up Helly Aa SCBF grant application.

 

4/21/3 MINUTES

15th March 2021- The minutes for the March meeting were approved by  Mr R Jamieson and Ms A Jamieson

ACTION: clerk to forward to CC Liaison, NI Dvp Worker, Police, SIC Elected Representatives and post on the website

Additional Finance Meeting 23rd March 2021 - The minutes for the additional finance meeting were approved by Ms A Jamieson and Mr L Odie

 

4/21/4 COMMUNITY WORK

F Browne was informed of the YCCs decision to provide grant funding to the Men’s Shed to cover the legal fees associated with the Herra Hall.

 

4/21/5 OUTSTANDING BUSINESS

5.1 TRANSPORT- FERRIES

Electronic payments- The introduction of electronic payments on the Yell Sound has been held up by connectivity issues that have made remote training difficult.  It is hoped that this will be resolved in the next few days.

5 day full service on Yell Sound- Sellaness are hopeful to have a plan regarding costs to present before the summer recess regarding operating a 5 day full service. 

Fare Consultation- Due to the indepth nature of the consultation discussion has been held over for another meeting. 

Old Gutcher Pier- Members were informed that the engineering team is looking into options for the pier. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact Piers and Harbours to request repairs

5.2 ROADS

Cullivoe to Gutcher Road- Since the last meeting of YCC the plans have passed through the full council.

Trees at Stoganess- Following a serious accident due to the blindness caused by the trees members request that an SIC representative come to view the problem as a matter of urgency and take steps to rectify it.  Cutting back the trees is only a temporary measure and some members would like to see the road realigned and the bridge replaced as a more permanent solution. 

ACTION: Clerk to ask D Coupe, SIC, to organise a site visit 

Resurfacing and restructuring programme- Members note the document sent by the roads department. 

West Sandwick Graveyard Rd- K Hannay reported that the potholes in the road are regularly being filled. 

Sign at the head of Mid Yell Voe- Still not replaced, awaiting new poles

Smooth tar in Cullivoe- Resurfacing scheduled.

Hamnavoe graveyard parking- No update. 

 

5.3 NHS ISSUES CONTINUED

A Jamieson reported on a successful meeting with members of the health board following an initial email from Cr Mike Mcdonnell raising concerns. 

Attendees were Michael Dickson, Chief Executive Shetland Health Board, Kirsty Brightwell and Brian Chittick. Laurence Odie, Karen Hannay and Annette Jamieson attended from YCC.

The main points from the meeting were that the GP role has been advertised but as yet there has been little response.  They are thinking about a different model going forward for Yell and Fetlar,  but are still working on developing it and will get back to YCC when there is more to share. Their thinking incorporates some of M Mcdonnell’s comments especially around the isolation for the GP and the unsustainable (and unattractive) 24/7 on call commitment and they very much mean to work together with the community on this.   They assured attendees that working together is the best thing to do.  The role of a GP has changed considerably over the years (and because of COVID) and that additional specialisms ie physio, the role of nurses and methods of communication e.g. Ask My  GP are also emerging as important parts of  the whole health package.

There was also the suggestion that peer support between Yell, Unst and Whalsay could be offered. 

 

5.4 REFUSE COLLECTION

West Sandwick Beach Bin- The refuse lorry is unable to empty the bin due to the condition of the track, as such it will continue to be emptied by volunteers.

5.5 ENERGY ISLES WIND FARM

No update

 

5.6 SHETLAND COMMUNITY BENEFIT FUND ADVANCED GRANT SCHEME

The advertisement has been posted on YCC Facebook page and will be distributed to shops.  Applications have come in and members note the difficulty of making awards without knowing what future uptake on the grant will be. 

 

5.7 SKIPS

YCC will advertise a second round of skip provision after the results of the grant application. 

 

5.8 STREET LAMPS- GREENBANK

The posts have been placed ready for the electrical components which are expected to be placed next week. 

 

5.9 THE WHITE WIFE

The original figure head has been removed and the replica sited in its place.  The signs relating to the figure head refer to it being the original and due to this and their poor condition will need to be replaced by the Shetland Amenity Trust. 

 

5.10 KSB BEACH AWARDS

Breckon- R Jamieson and J Nicholson will make improvements to the box and information boards in the next few weeks.  The clerk will update this notice on the boards.

West Sandwick- K Hannay will check that the dog poop sign that was present on the old bin is in place on the new one..  The clerk will update the notices on the boards. 

The applications will be submitted by 23rd April.

ACTION: Clerk to submit application and update information boards

K Hannay to advise clerk regarding bin sign

R Jamieson and J Nicholson to carry out work at Breckon

5.11  BURRAVOE FOOTPATH

Concerns regarding the footpath were raised again by Burravoe Parent Council. F Browne suggested that YCC again contact Robina Barton, Active Travel, advising that she contact L Odie.

ACTION: Clerk to contact Robina Barton, Active Travel

5.12 HOUSING

Members are pleased to note that council houses have recently been allocated. 

 

4/21/6 NEW BUSINESS

6.1 NEW COMMUNITY COUNCIL CONSTITUTION

YCC members approved adopting the new constitution; this was proposed by A Jamieson and seconded by R Jamieson.  The new constitution allows for members to be aged 16 and over. 

 

6.2 DATA PROTECTION AND DESTRUCTION POLICY

Inline with the data protection and destruction policy the clerk and members were advised to delete and destroy documents.  The clerk will contact M Duncan, SIC, to see if a service to dispose of sensitive obsolete documents is available to Community Councils. 

ACTION: Clerk to contact M Duncan

6.3 ULSTA POST OFFICE CONSULTATION

YCC will feedback into the consultation that the public is very grateful for the long service provided by the former Post Mistress.  The temporary closure of the Post Office wil cause a disruption to individuals, mostly elderly residents, who use the service provided there. Some solutions were suggested such as relocating the post office to another business, selling stamps at the local shop, having parcels collected from houses free of charge and locating the post box in a prominent location.  YCC would like for a new post holder to be placed or a new premisses for the Post Office

ACTION: Clerk to submit views to the consultation

6.4 PHONE BOX CONSULTATION

K Hannay advised the the West Sandwick phone box has been taken allocatioed to another recipient. 

 

6.5 VISIT SCOTLAND TOURISM CONSULTATION

Members discussed the questions sent by Visit Scotland in Lerwick regarding community feelings about the reopening of tourism.  Members had mixed feelings about the easing of restrictions but recognised it as a necessary measure.  The feeling is that local people and businesses will need to be vigilant and strictly adhere to the regulations in place once tourism opens up.  A Jamieson mentioned the Safe to Go scheme operated by Visitscotland as an assurance to visitors and the community.  

Members felt that initially tourism should be open to Shetland and Scotland and should Covid cases remain low, further expanding that to the rest of the UK.  Members had serious concerns about the introduction of international travel. 

 

6.6 VOAR REDD UPS

Members noted the return of the Voar Redd Ups. YCC are not in a position to offer financial support to groups participating this year. 

 

6.7 ASCC AGENDA ITEMS

Clerkwill submit the item regarding fixed links to the ASCC meeting agenda. 

ACTION: Clerk to submit form to M Duncan, SIC

4/21/7 FINANCE AND GRANTS

7.1 YCC FUNDING

Members noted the allocation of the core funding according to a similar  budget as last financial year.  The CDF application is ready to be submitted.  F Browne offered to review the project grant application before that is submitted by the end of the month. 

ACTION: Clerk to submit applications 

7.2 SCBF AGS APPLICATIONS

Cullivoe Up Helly Aa- A Jamieson and K Hannay proposed providing £5000 of grant funding for the Galley Shed renovations. 

Burravoe Primary School- R Jamieson and K Hannay proposed providing £500 of grant funding for the purchase of top soil and equipment for the schools poly crub. 

 

7.3 CLERK WAGES

Item held over to next meeting

 

4/21/8 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

8.1 FARES CONSULTATION MEETING

A meeting to discuss the fares consultation will be held on Monday 26th April at 8pm.  Members are requested to thoroughly review the consultation documents before the meeting. 

ACTION: Clerk to inform absent members of the meeting



THE MEETING ENDED AT  22.20 HRS

 

The next meeting of the Yell Community Council will be held on

 

Monday 17th May 2021 via Zoom Online Conferencing.

 

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|