Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council
Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 29th October 2018
at 7 pm in the Baltasound School, Music Huts

Present:  

Gordon Thomson

Minnie Mouatt

Janice Priest

Julie Thomson

Attending:

Josie McMillan, Clerk 

01/10/18   Apologies:

John Peterson

Claire Priest

Hazel Spence

Frances Browne, Community Learning and Development Officer

Alec Priest, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Duncan Simpson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Ryan Thomson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Michael Duncan, Community Council Liaison Officer

PC Simon Findlay

 

Gordon welcomed everybody to the last meeting of this Community Council.  He thanked everybody for their time and commitment.  Several members are staying on for the next term, but Minnie and Hazel will finish on the 22nd November.

 

02/10/18   Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 24th September 2018 were approved, proposed by Janice, seconded by Julie.   

03/10/18   Matters Arising from last minutes

08/05/18.1  Shetland Space Centre (SSC) Meeting

Frank Strang emailed an update to the Space Centre Project in the beginning of October.  Representatives from Lockheed Martin were coming to Unst for another visit and then meeting with the Council.  There were also representatives from a major finance company visiting, who are raising the funding for the project.  The business plan for the Ground Station and Data Facility is progressing.  The Shetland Space Centre with Ariane have put in a joint application to the European Space Agency to secure funding to design, build and operate a boutique Launch Facility.  SSC have an exclusivity with Ariane in the UK who will only launch from Unst post 2020 and are putting their incredible resources to work to help the Shetland Space Centre.  A Board of directors has been formed which has helped with raising the profile and credibility.  Frank goes on to say that there is also other meetings set up, one of which is with Faroese Telecom, with regards to delivering 5G mobile signal as well as to provide Fast Fibre. They also want to talk about launching their own satellite from Unst.  Frank concludes by saying that the UK Space Agency are being very supportive and are encouraging them to apply for specialist funding. They also expect to have letters of commitment from Launch providers and a Satellite Manufacturing Company in the near future. 

09/06/18.10  Haroldswick Playpark

Magnus Malcolmson, SIC, emailed to say that this had been repaired in July but must have broken again.  He will organise to have it repaired again.

08/08/12.5  Belmont Rubbish Bin

Brydon Sinclair, SIC Waste Prevention Officer, emailed to say that once they implement business recycling they will see about having a replacement litter bin put to Belmont.

08/08/12.6  Bottle Bank at the Baltasound Hotel

The bins at the Baltasound Hotel are commercial bins for the hotel.

07/09/18.6  Roads

The Clerk will email John Duncan, SIC Roads Department, to ask about the hole in the road at the bottom of the Sandfield road and also the junction at the Mid Ayre in Uyeasound.  And to ask if there can be a sign put up at the crossroads near Nordalea showing directions to the school.

07/09/18.8  Dog Litter

Julie is going to ask at the school about running a competition to design posters for display.  The SIC is also going to send up posters for display around Unst.

04/10/18   Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Gordon said that the purchase of Unit 1 should be complete by the end of the week.  The second-hand shop is still busy, takings for October are slightly down on September, but that was expected as the shop first opened last month.  Gina Ritch has designed a sign for the shop. Gordon is going to check with the other directors whether they will put on another skip day before Christmas.  Approximate cost for two skips is in the region of £600. 

05/10/18   Community Involvement Update

Frances was unable to attend the meeting but sent a document for discussion.  This is a draft of the requirement for the research which will be undertaken as the next stage of gathering information from the communities of Yell, Unst and Fetlar.  This is divided into four sections:- to understand the lived experience of people in Yell, Unst and Fetlar and the challenges they face; to understand the opportunities and benefits of living in Yell, Unst and Fetlar and how this helps to sustain households and communities; to capture the views of service users on how Locality Planning could help them and; the reporting and developing recommendations.  There was a discussion about how this would work.  Members were not sure how to decide on individuals and families that should be contacted.  Julie had attended a meeting through her work and one of the topics discussed was loneliness in the younger age group, this is not only an issue with older people.  Many of the services which were available in Unst in the past are no longer provided locally, you travel to Lerwick for appointments.  Services are still being centralised in Lerwick so to attend an appointment usually means taking a day of work.  Or taking the bairns out of school for the day.

06/10/18   Application for Donation

06/10/18.1  Youth Centre – Community Fireworks Display

It was agreed to give a donation of £300 towards the cost of the Youth Club community fireworks display.

06/10/18.2  Uyeasound Public Hall Committee

It was agreed to give a donation of £132 to the Uyeasound Public Hall towards the costs of the bairn’s Christmas Tree party.

07/10/18   Application for planning

07/10/18.1 Balti Light Ltd – Application for Premises Licence

The Community Council wrote a letter of support for this.

08/10/18   Community Council Finances

There was a discussion about Community Council finances.  The Community Development fund has all been allocated.  The expenditure to date is in line with the budget.

07/10/18   A.O.C.B.

07/10/18.1  Community Council Elections

There is one vacancy for Unst.  There are three new Community Councillors: - Caroline Hunter, David Cooper and Patrick Fordyce.  Posters have been displayed locally showing who are on the new Community Council.  There were no contested elections in any of the Communty Councils in Shetland.  There will be another round of elections in January to fill vacant posts.

07/10/18.2  Service Bus – Yell Sound Single Ferry Service

Maggie Sandison, SIC Chief Executive, emailed to say that the Council’s Transport Planning Service and Ferry Operations Service have been working together to see if there is a way to accommodate this matter.   She explained that the Service bus 23 ties in with leaving Lerwick after the arrival of the Northlink boat and also takes workers to Brae and Sullom so can not be changed.  Ms Sandison states that “Officers looked at the possibility of altering the single vessel timetable to move the 0845 departure from Toft to 0900 to tie in with the bus arrival. However, this means that the ferry would be unable to return from Ulsta at 0915 and the 0915 is the ferry that carries the Service 24 Integrated Service from the North Isles to Lerwick.  The next available departure from Ulsta would be 1055 (Mon) or 1045 (Tue-Fri).”  She says that “there isn’t a solution to this infrequent problem without significant impacts on a relatively greater number of regular bus service users.”  Gordon is going to contact the Yell Community Council to ask about this.

07/10/18.3  Beacon Lighting for “Battles Over – A Nation’s Tribute” – 11th November 2018

After a discussion it was decided to have the bonfire at the mid site, Saxavord. This has been used for lighting beacons in the past.  Gordon has emailed local companies to ask if they have any pallets or wood they could donate.  If it is not weather to have the bonfire on Saxavord, the gas beacon will be lit at the Haroldswick Hall.  There will be a bus leaving from the garage at 6.15pm up to Saxavord, weather permitting. 

07/10/18.4  Shetland Local Development Plan 2 – Call for Sites

The Council is required by the Scottish Government to identify sufficient land for housing, business and industry in their next Local Development Plan.  Landowners and developers can submit sites to the Council that they believe are suitable to be included in the next Local Development Plan.  Further information can be found at

https://www.shetland.gov.uk/planning/CallforSites.asp.

07/10/18.5  Shetland Recreational Trust Annual Report

The annual report for 2017-2018 can be found at the following website.

https://www.srt.org.uk/assets/files/annual-reports/srt-annual-report-2017_18.pdf 

17/10/18.6  Path to War Memorial, Baltasound

The lack of a path to the war memorial was raised by a member of the community.  This has been discussed in the past.  The road nearest to the memorial is a private road, with no parking.  At the moment people can walk over from the Setters Hill Estate side, but these are mostly private houses as well.  The monument is dedicated to the people of Shetland, it does not have individual names on it.

17/10/18.7  Cans Banks at the Halls

There was a query about the removal of the Can Banks from the local halls.  The existing banks have now all been changed to bottle banks, so there is no provision for disposing of cans from the hall.  The Clerk is to write and ask if these Can Banks will be returned.

The next meeting date will be set on Monday 3rd  December 2018 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|