Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council
Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 26th March 2018
at 7 pm in the Baltasound School, Music Huts

Present:    

Gordon Thomson

John Peterson

Claire Priest

Janice Priest

Raymond Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson

Attending:

Frances Browne, Community Learning and Development Officer

Josie McMillan, Clerk                    

01/03/18     Apologies:

Pat Burns

Minnie Mouatt

Alec Priest, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Duncan Simpson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Ryan Thomson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio) 

02/03/18     Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 26th February 2018 were proposed by Julie, seconded by Raymond. 

03/03/18     Matters Arising from last minutes

02/11/17  Shetland Space Centre

Frank Strang had to attend another meeting tonight, but is looking to meet with Community Councillors in April, to update them on progress with the Space Centre.  The first Shetland Space Centre newsletter has been published and can be accessed at

https://shetlandspacecentre.com/category/newsletters/

08/07/16.1 Lund Kirkyard Road

The Clerk is to contact the National Trust for Scotland to ask if they would be happy for the Community Council to install grids in the Lund Road if we can get funding.  Frances will also check to see if there is any funding available.  There was a discussion about how to raise money for this.  Gordon was going to apply to the Community Development Fund. (Round 2 bids need to be in by 13th April.)

12/10/12.2  Festive Timetable

The Clerk will email Michael Craigie, ZetTrans, again and ask if the Community Council’s suggestions have been discussed.

10/11/17.3  Scrap Cars

Gordon said that this was discussed at the Association of Shetland Community Councils (ASCC) meeting in Lerwick on 24th March 2018.  Whalsay, Yell and Unst are all having problems with the collection of scrapped cars.  Gordon has contacted the Amenity Trust and also Lawrie’s Scrapyard about collecting cars.  Lawrie’s do not have a contact with Autogreen yet, but are in negotiations with them.  The ASCC has agreed to write to Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) about this.

08/12/17.1  Health and Social Care Meeting - Uyeasound Hall, 1st December 2017

There was a discussion about this consultation.  Frances thought they were still working their way through the responses.  It was agreed to write to Lisa Watt and Simon Boker-Ingram to ask when the results will be published.

04/01/18   Chief Inspector Lindsay Tulloch, Consultation on Disposal of Unused Police Premises

It was agreed to contact Chief Inspector Tulloch to ask what progress has been made with this consultation.

08/01/18.3  Ferry Matters – Single Vessel Timetable on Yell Sound

There has been no reply to the email to Elaine Park, ZetTrans, asking for the ferry to wait for the Service bus if there is a single vessel service running on Yell Sound.  The Clerk will email again and copy in Michael Craigie and Maggie Sandison, SIC Chief Executive.  There was a discussion again about keeping the summer timetable running throughout September, starting the summer timetable in May instead of April.  This had been brought up at a Ferries meeting in December. 

08/02/18.2  Shetland Transport Strategy Refresh Consultation

Alec Priest emailed to say that Fixed Links is a fairly complex issue that may require a fair bit of discussion.  He believes that Unst and Yell should have a combined referendum on fixed links but that the timing of any referendum would need to be done leading up to the business case for the Unst ferry replacement. Currently the council is aiming to have business cases for the Whalsay and Fair Isles routes completed this year.  There is however no immediate rush and it may be beneficial to wait until the potential Whalsay referendum has been done.

08/02/18.3  Community Council Training - 10th March 2018

This training day was cancelled but will be rescheduled shortly. (New date is Sat 28th April, 10.30-2pm in Solarhus Boardroom, 3 North Ness Business Park, Lerwick)

08/02/18.4  ASCC Meeting Saturday 24 March, Lerwick Town Hall (11am – 1pm) 

Gordon attended this meeting.  He said that there was a lot of time spent on the constitution and standing orders.  It was agreed to have three meetings a year, March, June and October.  Scrap cars were discussed, see agenda item above,  10/11/17.3  Scrap Cars.  Elections for Community Councils will be held in November this year.  Several Community Councils do not have their required number of councillors.  Jan Riise runs the elections for the Council.  He would like the work of Community Council and their meetings better understood.

08/02/18.7  North Isles Dental Update

There is now a dentist working in Yell three days a week.

 

04/03/18     Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Gordon explained that UP has now got planning permission for Change of Use to Class 1 (Retail). The second hand shop will be open two afternoons a week.  He said that UP should hear word shortly about their application to the Scottish Land Fund for funding to support the purchase of Unit 1 and employing a Development Officer.  UP is still waiting to hear from HIE about their Asset Transfer.  UP has been collecting plastic to take to Lerwick to recycle.  There was a discussion about this, as it appears that ordinary plastic is being incinerated in Lerwick.  It is only the heavier plastic, e.g. fish boxes etc that is suitable for recycling.  UP is also collecting aluminum cans for the School’s “Cash for Cans” scheme. The Tourist map is nearly ready to publish. 

05/03/18     Community Involvement Update

Frances Browne gave out copies of the Shetland Partnership Plan 2018-2028.  There was a discussion about the statistics shown on the handouts.  Frances said that a lot of the population are doing well but there is still a lot of people who are struggling and are not being reached.  Claire and Hazel are attending the Locality Planning meetings on behalf of the Unst Community Council.  The meeting planned for the 28th March has been postponed.

06/03/18     Application for Planning

Planning Ref: 2018/039/PPF

Proposal: Change of use of part of building from Class 4 to Class 1 shop

Address: Unit 1, Hagdale Industrial Estate, Baltasound, Unst, Shetland, ZE2 9TW

Applicant: Gordon M Thomson

Date of Consultation: 27 February 2018

There were no objections.

 

07/03/18     Community Council Finances

07/03/18.1  Community Council Accounts

The accounts spreadsheet was circulated before the meeting. All funds have been spent for this financial year.  Next year’s allocation of funding is the same, £8423.

07/03/18.2  Community Development Fund – First Round - 16th March 2018

The Community Council has put in an application for this round of funding.

 

08/03/18     A.O.C.B.

08/03/18.1  SIC Chief Executive invite to visit Unst

There was a discussion about the new Chief Executive post at the Council.  It was agreed to invite Maggie Sandison up to Unst for a visit to look at the local amenities and infrastructure.

08/03/18.2  Shetland Amenity Trust – Muck and Bruck Service

Sita Goudie, SAT, emailed to say that the Trust would no longer uplift white goods and fencing wire with immediate effect.  The only materials they will now uplift are vehicles and agricultural machinery.  The white goods and fencing wire service was originally provided to reduce the burden on Community Council skips. However, since these were removed, alternative paid-for bulky uplift services are now in place, including the Unst Partnership Community Skip service which the Trust currently supports.  Also, with only one “Muck and Bruck” team for the whole of Shetland, based in the North Isles, SAT need to focus on the items for which there are no alternative disposal routes.  The Trust will continue to support the Unst Partnership initiative, with the free removal of white goods and other metal items.

08/03/18.3  Hermaness Access

Gordon had contacted Jonathan Swale, Scottish Natural Heritage, after concerns were raised about the initial black path to Hermaness being slippy and risky to walk on. Residents at the Shore Station are also concerned about the state of the road up from the lower Car Park and Gordon had directed them to the Council policy on Road Adoption.

08/03/18.4  Dog Fouling

A member of the public contacted the Community Council about dog fouling in Baltasound.  The Clerk contacted the Council to ask if there needed to be special bins put up for the collection of dog poo and was told it be put in existing external SIC bins, as long as it was suitably bagged.  It was agreed to put it on the Facebook page to try and encourage dog owners to be responsible for cleaning up after their pets.

08/03/18.5  Da Voar Redd Up 28th/29th April 2018

The application for Community Development funding has been submitted.  If that is successful the Community Council will once again give £100 per strip for Da Voar Redd Up.

08/03/18.6  Mad Monk/Banijay

Details about this project was passed on to the Community Council for discussion.  Mad Monk/Banijay are developing a unique television series for a major British TV Broadcaster. They are looking for “small villages, with fantastic stories and even more amazing people, that would like to win a privately funded piece of public art that will celebrate the local people and the heritage of their community.” Some ideas for arts projects were suggested. The Community Council was keen to hear from anyone wanting to take a project forward.

08/03/18.7  Community Ferry Allocation 2018/2019

Fiona Farquhar, SIC Ferries, emailed to ask for the dates of any of the planned community ferry hires so that she can organize the resources needed.  There was a discussion about the community ferry hires already requested – Unst Yoal Regatta(14/7), Unst Festival Carnival (21/7) and Unst Show (25/8).  The Clerk will pass on the details of these to Ms Farquhar.

08/03/18.8  Bigga Refit

Yell Community Council has asked if it would be alright with Unst Community Council if the Bigga refit is delayed by another week, until the week beginning 10th September.  It was agreed to email and say this was not an issue.

08/03/18.9  SIC Surface Dressing 2018/2019

A letter was received from Neil Hutcheson, Roads, saying that there are no plans to do any resurfacing in Unst this next financial year.

08/03/18.10  Roads

The matter of chips on the road was discussed again.  The road sweeper has been up but there are still loose chips at the Crossroads at Nordalea.  It was agreed to write again to Brian Wood, SIC Roads.

 

The next meeting date will be set on Monday 30th April 2018 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|