Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 29th July 2019

at 6.30  pm in the Baltasound School, Music Huts

 

Present:    

Patrick Fordyce, Chair

David Cooper

Caroline Hunter

Gordon Thomson

Attending:

PC Angela Manson

Frances Browne, Community Involvement and Development Officer

Josie McMillan, Clerk                    

01/07/19     Apologies:

Claire Priest, Vice Chair

John Peterson

Janice Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson

Alec Priest, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Duncan Simpson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Ryan Thomson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Michael Duncan, Community Council Liaison Officer

 

Patrick welcomed PC Manson to the meeting and asked if she wanted to go first or stay for the meeting.  She said she was happy to stay.  Patrick said that we would go through the agenda and take Police Report farther through the meeting.

02/07/19     Minutes from the Last Meeting

The minutes from the meeting held on Monday 17th June 2019 were proposed by David and seconded by Gordon.

03/07/19     Declaration of Interest

There were no declarations of interest.

04/07/19     Matters Arising from last minutes             

12/06/19.4  SIC – Strategic Transport Projects Review (STPR2)

Patrick attended this meeting in Lerwick on the 24th June.  It was organised by the Scottish Government to discuss views on transport-related problems and opportunities that could be considered for the Shetland Islands Region.  Patrick found the meeting very constructive and informative.  The Clerk will email Michael Craigie to ask if the report or minutes from this meeting are available yet.

13/01/19.6 White Wife Statue

The application to site the statue has been approved.  Sandison’s are putting in a plinth/base for the statue this week.  Once this is in place the statue will be put up.

13/05/19.5  Litter Bin at the Bus Shelter and various other Public Litter Bins issues

The Clerk will email again about asking for a litter bin to be put at the bus shelter in Baltasound.  There was a discussion about the state of some of the public bins during UnstFest. It was agreed to ask the Council if there could be an extra collection during UnstFest from businesses, halls and Gardiesfauld.  This was done several years ago.  One of the Bottle banks at Skibhoul is full.  Bottle banks are emptied by the Amenity Trust. Gordon will contact them about this.

05/07/19     Unst Partnership (UP) Update. 

Gordon said that the AGM will be held in August.  UP needs more directors and also more volunteers to man the shop.  The development worker’s contract finishes at the beginning of September so they are having discussions about that.  The shop is still doing well and had been open every day during UnstFest except Sundays. UP directors are organising a participatory budgeting event in September to distribute some of the funds raised by the shop, possibly £3000/£4000. 

06/07/19     Community Involvement Update

Frances gave everyone printed copies of “Shetland’s Partnership Plan 2018-2028” for information.  There will be a further meeting with the Community Council to discuss delivery plans for this later in the year.  Frances is organising a meeting with Greg Maitland, Harbour Master and Port Operations, to discuss the pontoon for Baltasound Pier.  The preliminary meeting will involve members of SIC, Tour Operator, Boating Club, Marina Users Group and the Community Council. The SIC own the main pier and the Boating Club own the rest.  With the possibility of increasing numbers of cruise liners calling, a pontoon would make embarking/disembarking much easier.  It would also be a benefit for visiting yachts.  Frances said that there is a plan to hold a meeting in the North Isles with health professionals and people interested in health to discuss common issues covering the area and learn from each other.  One common issue is that of dentistry. The dentist has left and the post is being covered two days a week a present.  Yell is having problems with getting volunteers to cover the ambulance service.  This impacts on Unst if the ambulance is called out to cover Yell.  Fetlar has the services of a nurse, but this is not 24 hour cover.  Yell is also having social care staffing issues.  Unst has a Health Support Group which meets four times a year.  There are no support groups in Yell or Fetlar.  Members thought organising this meeting was an excellent idea.  Frances handed out Community Mediation leaflets for information.

07/07/19     Application for Donation

There were no applications.

08/07/19     Application for Unadopted Roads

There was an application for an unadopted road grant from Nigel Stickle, Stove.  A grant for £220 was approved on completion of the work and receipts have been submitted to the Clerk.

13/07/19.3  Police Report

PC Angela Manson introduced herself and gave members an update on the monthly police report for Unst.  There had been four incidents, three of which were not police matters, but SIC housing issues.  She had taken part in UnstFest and had been a great attraction to bairns who wanted to be locked up in the cell in the police van or handcuffed.  This had been a good opportunity to meet people.  PC Manson was asked if there were any plans for increasing the Police presence in Unst at weekends which had been discussed with the previous Yell policeman.  She said that this could be done by working a nightshift, along with a colleague from Lerwick.  PC Manson asked if there were any events coming up where there was a police presence needed.  She will be attending the Unst Show.  The plan is to spend 1 day a month in each of the islands she covers, i.e. Unst, Fetlar, Yell, Whalsay and Skerries.  PC Angela Manson left the meeting at 8pm, Patrick thanked her for attending.

09/07/19     Application for planning

Planning Ref:

2019/173/PPF

Proposal:

To erect a 6m high communication mast and associated infrastructure

Address:

Belmont, Unst,

Applicant:

Cooke Aquaculture Scotland

Date of Consultation:

19 July 2019

There were no objections.

10/07/19     Community Council Finances

The only expenditure since last meeting has been Voar Redd Up payments.

11/07/19     Hermaness Project/Road

The SIC put in no objections to the Hermaness project. There has been no further word whether this will go ahead.  There are still concerns about the brig and the roads to the Shore Station.  The Roadmen are going to do some repairs on the brig.                                                                               

13/05/19.3  Road Matter

Neil Hutcheson, SIC Road, emailed to say that he has put in a works order for a sign at the crossroads at the manse in Baltasound to show directions to the ferry.  They are also going to put up “passing place” signs on the road up to the Health Centre from Hunter’s Road junction.  And do some work on the “stand-off” place, they will widen the carriageway out to the existing grass verge.  Patrick is going to make up a checklist of road jobs which the Community Council has written about and work out what jobs have been done already, going to be done or not going to be done.  The roadmen are working on the road into Patrick’s where there has been a blocked cross drain for a long time.  Frances said that she had been asked to raise the matter of plastic in the drains of the road.  It was agreed to find out more about where this is.

12/07/19     Shetland Community Benefit Fund

There had been a meeting about this during UnstFest that no-one from Unst was able to attend.  Gordon said that there had been a slight change in the offer from Viking Energy.  Their accountants are proposing that the contribution to Community Councils will be paid once construction starts.  The 25 year period would be deferred and first start in 2024, instead of 2020.  Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) is taking over the whole project.  David said that he understood it was a statutory obligation to pay money for the benefit of the community.  It is good publicity for the companies.

Gordon said that there is an Energy Isles meeting tomorrow night in Yell.  He is going to attend and will feedback at the next Community Council meeting.  The last meeting in Unst was changed at the last minute from Uyeasound Hall to Cullivoe.  Hazel attended this. 

13/07/19     A.O.C.B.

13/07/19.1  Review of Streetlighting Reduction Policy, Gutter Street and East Road

Neil Hutcheson, SIC Roads, emailed to say that the Roads Service has been instructed by the Environment & Transport Committee “to consult with residents and others, as appropriate, with a commitment to reinstate the lights should that be the overall wishes of those affected residents.”  The results of this consultation are then to be reported back to the Environment and Transport Committee for a decision.  They are proposing that the consultation seek a simple yes or no response to the following question:  “Would you wish the Shetland Islands Council to reinstate the streetlights in “Gutter Street, Baltasound and East Road, Uyeasound” that were previously removed as part of the Council’s lighting reduction policy?”  Community Councillors agreed that this would be suitable wording for the consultation.  Members have been contacted by most of the residents affected by this and they all want the street lights reinstated.

13/07/19.2  Scottish Community Development Centre – Strengthening Community Councils

This has been deferred until the next meeting to give everyone a chance to read the report.  This is on the agenda for the next ASCC meeting in September.

13/07/19.4  Area Transport Forum

ZetTrans is going to establish Area Transport Forums across Shetland to help understand transport needs and to support the planning and monitoring of services into the future.  There are seven forum areas, one of which is Unst, Yell and Fetlar.  The first round of meetings are scheduled for late August/early September.  The Clerk will email to say that two representatives from the Community Council will attend these meetings. 

13/07/19.5  Easting Kirkyard

There has been rumours in Unst that there will be no more burials in Easting Kirkyard, unless to inter urns.  And that the grass will no longer be cut.  The clerk will email the Council to find out if this is the case.

14/07/19     Date of next meeting

The next meeting date will be set on Monday 9th September 2019 at 6.30 pm in the Baltasound School.

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|