Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 3rd December 2018

at 7 pm in the Baltasound School, Music Huts

 

Present:  

Claire Priest

David Cooper

Patrick Fordyce

Caroline Hunter

Janice Priest

Julie Thomson

Attending:

Frances Browne, Community Learning and Development Officer

PC Simon Findlay

Josie McMillan, Clerk

02/12/18   Apologies:

John Peterson

Gordon Thomson

Alec Priest, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Duncan Simpson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Ryan Thomson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Michael Duncan, Community Council Liaison Officer

01/12/18   Welcome Councillors

The Clerk welcomed everybody to the meeting.

03/12/18   Elect Chair

The Clerk explained that the first step was to elect a chair.  Gordon had emailed to say that he did not want to stand as chair. There was a discussion about the duties of the chair and vic chair.  There were no volunteers or nominations so it was agreed to postpone this until the next meeting.

04/12/18   Elect Vice Chair

Claire said that she was willing to carry on as vice chair.  She was proposed by Janice and seconded by Julie.  Claire chaired the rest of the meeting.

05/12/18   Declaration of Interest

All Community Councillors have to declare an interest in any of the agenda item in which they have a vested interest. Members completed a form showing their memberships of committees, groups etc.  Declaration of Interest is now a standing item on the meeting agenda.

06/12/18   Minutes from the last meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 29th October 2018 were approved, proposed by Julie, seconded by Janice.   

07/12/18   Matters Arising from last minutes

07/12/18.1  Shetland Space Centre (SSC) Meeting

Frank Strang, SSC, emailed to say that they had been very busy over the last few months and had made a huge amount of progress.  He said that Unst and Shetland are now front and centre on the International Space stage. Together with SIC they have secured a crucial partnership with Faroese Telecom and the Faroes, which has major implications for the UK and has met with the approval of the UK Government.  This should mean there will be enhanced Broadband Service and hopefully 5G mobile signal, SSC will be working together to control the airspace over the Faroes and also operate Ground Stations on Unst and the Faroes and Greenland. This will make Unst more attractive to clients.  SSC has agreed to partner with the Cornwall Space Centre at Goonhilly which will bring in expertise and more business. It means that SSC will be able to bring down data at both ends of the Country.  Mr Strang said that SSC are in weekly dialogue with Lockheed Martin and as such are progressing plans for Launch and Ground Stations. They are also looking at the provision of a DataStorage Facility on Unst with Lockheed and Amazon. SSC have been approached by Airbus who are very keen on operating from Unst. They have commitments from several smaller Satellite Launch operators and commitments from Satellite Manufacturers to launch their satellites from Unst once it is operational.  SSC is starting to build a Community Education strategy and look at how they can prepare local people for employment. They have applied for grant support from the UK Space Agency and the European Space Agency and waiting to hear if they are successful. 

09/06/18.10  Haroldswick Playpark

The Clerk is to email Magnus Malcolmson, SIC, and ask when the handle on the roundabout will be repaired.  There is a rusty pole at the climbing frame and the steps for the slide are also rusty.

07/09/18.6  Roads

The Clerk will email John Duncan, SIC Roads Department, again to ask about the road matters we emailed about after the last meeting.  These were:- the hole in the road at the bottom of the Sandfield road and also the junction at the Mid Ayre in Uyeasound.  There is also a big stone sticking out onto the edge of the road at the Belmont ferry terminal.  Another road matter discussed was the congestion on the road to Hermaness Nature Reserve.  The tourist season was very busy and there were real problems with congestion.  There are not enough passing places.  Members wondered if better signage might ease the problem.  The clerk will write to Neil Hutcheson, SIC Roads.  There is also a sign on the Burrafirth Road to Upper Sotland.  This road is narrow and leads to three occupied houses.  Tourists often head up the road believing it is the road to Hermaness.  The road sign could be removed.

07/10/18.2  Service Bus – Yell Sound Single Ferry Service

There has been no further word about this. It was decided to carry it forward to the next meeting.

07/10/18.3  Beacon Lighting for “Battles Over – A Nation’s Tribute” – 11th November 2018

This Remembrance event went really well.  A lot of people attended the lighting of the bonfire on Saxavord.  Alison Martin played the Last Post and Patrick did the reading.  The UnstFest committee had taken the puffins up and placed them on a line of sandbags at the bonfire site.  Each puffin had information on them from World War 1.  There was soup and sandwiches in the Haroldswick hall afterwards, this was also well attended.  There was a collection for RAF Benevolent Fund which totaled £150. 

17/10/18.7  Cans Banks at the Halls

The Clerk spoke to Brydon Sinclair, SIC Waste Prevention Officer, who said that there will be a new scheme for can collections at halls.  This will be put in place next year.  The Shetland Amenity Trust runs a “Cash for Cans” scheme for schools and Voluntary groups.

08/12/18   Unst Partnership (UP) Update

This item will be carried forward to the next meeting as Gordon is away.

09/12/18   Community Involvement Update

Frances explained the background of Locality Planning and the Shetland Partnership Plan to the new Community Councillors.  She will send on information to the clerk for circulating to them.  The next step in the Locality Planning process is to commission external researchers to carry out a piece of work interviewing and gathering information directly from individuals in the community about their lived experience.  There was a discussion about using external researchers.  Members thought that individuals might be more forthcoming with people they did not know.  Confidentiality is very important.  It was agreed that the Locality Planning information needed to contain more positives about living in the North Isles.  Frances said that apart from working with this she is working with the Fetlar Hall committee and also the Uyeasound Hall.

10/12/18   Application for Donation

10/12/18.1  Unst Under 5s

It was agreed to give a donation of £120 towards the cost of the Unst Under 5s group towards the cost of the Christmas Tree party.

10/12/18.2  Baltasound SWI

It was agreed to give a donation of £396 to the Baltasound SWI towards the costs of the bairn’s Christmas Tree party.

11/12/18   Application for planning

Planning Ref: 2018/255/PPF

Proposal: Erect dwellinghouse with air source heat pump

Address: Nord, Baltasound, Unst, Shetland, ZE2 9DX

Applicant: Anona Barclay

Date of Consultation:  31 October 2018

There were no objections

Planning Ref: 2018/309/PPF

Proposal: To erect 10kW wind turbine on a 12m tower and associated connecting cable

Address: Baltasound Junior High, Baltasound, Unst, Shetland, ZE2 9DY

Applicant: Shetland Islands Council

Date of Consultation:  1 November 2018


There were no objections.

Planning Ref:

2018/023/MAR

Proposed Development:

To develop a new mussel farm comprising 5 x 220m twin-headline longlines

Location:

West Of Skeo Taing, Balta Harbour, Baltasound, Unst

Applicant:

Mr Chris Webb – Cooke Aquaculture Scotland

Planning Officer:

Mr John Rosie

 

Planning Ref:

2018/024/MAR

Proposed Development:

To develop a new mussel farm comprising 4 x 150m twin-headline longlines

Location:

Swarta Skerry, Balta Sound, Unst

Applicant:

Mr Chris Webb – Cooke Aquaculture Scotland

Planning Officer:

Mr John Rosie

 

Planning Ref:

2018/025/MAR

Proposed Development:

To develop a new mussel farm comprising 5 x 220m twin-headline longlines

Location:

Huney, Balta Sound, Unst

Applicant:

Mr Chris Webb – Cooke Aquaculture Scotland

Planning Officer:

Mr John Rosie

Members asked for more information before making a decision on the above three applications.

 

Planning Ref: 2018/305/PPF

Proposal: Erect timber framed dwellinghouse and timber shed

Address: Clivocast, Unst, Shetland

Applicant: Mr G Betney

Date of Consultation:  19 November 2018

There were no objections.  David explained that water pressure in this area of Uyeasound is really poor.  His property is going to be monitored to check what the day to day pressure is.

12/12/18   Community Council Finances

The Clerk explained about the budget to the new Councillors.  There has been no expenditure since the last meeting.

13/12/18   A.O.C.B.

13/12/18.1  SIC - Outline Business Case on Inter-Island Ferry Services

There was a discussion about this.  It was an update briefing paper.  In 2016 the SIC Transport Planning Service undertook the Shetland Inter Island Transport Study (SIITS).  They had public drop in meetings throughout Shetland.  The full report can be seen on the SIC website  http://www.shetland.gov.uk/transport/siits.asp  Members queried where one of the options for Bluemull Sound came from  “Option RO2: Additional request sailings on Friday and Saturday evenings through to 0200.” The Clerk will email Michael Craigie, ZetTrans to ask.  Members would like to discuss this in more detail with their SIC Councillors.  The Clerk will email them and ask if they will be at the next meeting.

13/12/18.2  Uber Eats

The Community Council has been contacted by David Stitson from the PR company, Hope and Glory.  Their client, Uber Eats, are keen to organise a media promotion by delivering takeaways by helicopter to some of the Unst community.  The Clerk has answered all their queries to date so will see if it progresses or not.

13/12/18.3  Community Ferry Application

There was a request asking for information about booking a community ferry hire for next year.  Members said that it would be better to apply late March, early April when we will have our new allocation of community ferry hires.  The Community Council will also know better what community events are planned.

13/12/18.4  Police Report

PC Findlay said that since October he had attended four incidents in Unst:- one minor road accident, the fire alarm going off at the Police house and two incidents of children’s dialing the Police.  He said that they had to attend these “silent” calls.  PC Findlay said that the Police house is under offer and should be sold very shortly.  He was asked if a Police person would be based in Unst again in the near future.  He said that there are contingency plans if the population increased significantly.  If that was the case the Police person would stay in social housing and be based in an office somewhere, maybe the school, this is being done already on mainland Scotland.

13/12/18.5  VE Day 75th Anniversary – 8th May 2020

Bruno Peak, Pageantmaster to the Queen, has been in touch asking if the Community Council is interested in taking part in the 75th anniversary of VE day in May 2020.  Members agreed they would like to take part.  Mr Peak has sent up a bugle and bell

14/12/18   Date of next meeting

The next meeting date will be set on Monday 7th  January 2019 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School.

 

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|