Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 3rd October 2016 at 7 pm in the Baltasound School, English Room

 

Present:  

Gordon Thomson

Pat Burns

Minnie Mouatt

John Peterson

Claire Priest

Janice Priest

Raymond Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson

 

Attending:

Frances Browne, Community Learning and Development Officer

Josie McMillan, Clerk     

 

01/10/16    Apologies:

Gary Cleaver, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Steven Coutts, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Robert Henderson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

 

02/10/16    Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 5th September 2016 were approved, proposed by Janice, seconded by Raymond.

 

03/10/16    Matters Arising from last minutes

08/10/15.4  Musical Boat, Sign and Bus at Belmont

The Unst Youth Group is having an EGM tonight; they will be electing a new committee after the EGM.  The new committee will look further for funding options to replace the sign. There has been some progress with the bus, repairs have been done which should mean it can be moved or towed.

07/04/16.10  Skidbladner and Longhouse

There has been someone working at the Longhouse site.

08/07/16.1  Roads

Brian Wood, SIC Roads, replied to our email.  He said the Council will assess the road below Gardie when they are next in Unst. The road into Baliasta, from the School Junction to the graveyard is on the SIC resurfacing programme for 2018.  The Council will still monitor the whole road and carry out any remedial patching when required.  The Old Post Office Road is being monitored by the Council.  The Council is intending to undertake some work on the Setters Road in the near future, although they will only be undertaking remedial repairs and ditching to try and alleviate some of the water problems.  Mr Wood explains that the Council has a “huge list of outstanding work identified throughout the North Isles. This list sits alongside their required programmed work and other emergency or urgent work that develops.”

Mr Hutcheson, SIC Roads, said that delays due to plant breakdowns and ferry cancellations meant they were unable to undertake the work to the Uyeasound road, on the programmed dates. He explained that to get back on their programme, the Council are required to submit “due to the whereabouts” notices to the Scottish Roadworks Commissioner.  Mr Hutcheson said that the intention is to get the road surfaced this financial year even if the work is done in March.

08/07/16.4  Belmont Terminal

Craig Robertson, Ferries, explained that at this stage the Council do not have a date for when the lines will be repainted at Belmont. He has asked the Roads Department to give me a conditional survey report for all of their Ferry Terminal access roads and car parks. Once the Council gets this report they can plan the areas of priority, but this will be down to having the funding available.  Mr Robertson said that he will keep the Community Council updated on the progress.

08/07/16.1 Lund Kirkyard

The road hasn’t been repaired yet.  There appears to be some confusion about who owns the road, from Lund down to the graveyard.  Members said that the Council had built the car park beside the graveyard.  And the Council own the graveyard and had put in the first tarred road.  The Clerk will write to Maggie Sandison for clarification and copy the letter to Tavish Scott.

08/07/16.6 Potential Social and Economic Impact Assessment – ferry charges and timetable  

Gordon contacted Robert Thomson, Fetlar Development Group to discuss this.  Robert explained that the need for this work has been overtaken by the Council’s Ferry Services engagement meetings.

08/07/16.8 North Isles Dentist

There has been no answer to our letter to Brian Chittick, NHS Shetland Dental Director about this.  The letter was also copied to Simon Bokor-Ingram, Director of Community Health and Social Care.  It was agreed to write again and contact Tavish Scott to ask if he can move this forward.

08/09/16.1  Shetland Inter Island Transport Study – Public Engagement Meeting

The drop-in meeting on Tuesday 6th September night at the Baltasound Hall was well attended.  Michael Craigie, Shetland Islands Council Executive Manager Transport Planning and Lead Officer ZetTrans was there, he had explained to one Community Councillor that the Council have to follow the formula laid down by the Scottish Government to qualify for funding for transport links, which is why they had followed the ferries route.   He had explained that figures given for costs of tunnels in other countries often didn’t include the whole costs, often their governments pay the extra amount if there are additional costs or other hitches.

08/09/16.4  Community Council Insurance

Zurich Insurance Services has accepted the completed Community Council insurance application form and risk assessment.

08/09/16.7  Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015

There was an option to have a training session on understanding the Community Empowerment Act available on the Community Council’s Training Needs questionnaire.

 

04/10/16    Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Gordon said that FestiYell had been a success and was well attended.  It is hoped that it will run again next year.  Kellie Naulls and Selina Miller are working on funding applications for LEADER and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE).  They are attending meetings about this later in the week.  They are trying to get funding for a two-year Tourism Development post for the North Isles.  The last skip day had been quieter than previous ones, with only one of the skips completely full.

 

05/10/16    Application for Donations

There were no applications.

 

06/10/16    Application for Unadopted Road

There were no applications.

 

07/10/16    Community Council Finances

The accounts were unchanged from last meeting. 

                  

08/10/16    A.O.C.B.

08/09/16.1  Zetrans – Fixed Links Paper to Islands Transport Forum

Michael Craigie, Shetland Islands Council Executive Manager Transport Planning and Lead Officer for ZetTrans had attended the latest meeting of the Islands Transport Forum in Edinburgh.  He believed that the idea of building tunnels from the Shetland mainland to the islands has taken a huge step forward.   Humza Yousaf, Scottish Transport Minister, welcomed the paper, and accepted the recommendations and agreed to work with Transport Scotland officers to establish how the principle of fixed links can be accommodated in policy development.  Mr Craigie said that the Minister will consider whether the National Transport Strategy Review or a focussed Working Group will be most effective.  It may be that it is a combination of both approaches.  The Minister acknowledged that it may be necessary to augment the twice-yearly schedule of meetings with intermediate meetings by teleconference/ video conference to ensure progress on issues.

08/09/16.2  Community Councillor’s Training and Support Needs Questionnaire

There was a discussion about what training was on offer.  There is an option to attend a training session on understanding the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act.  As well as a variety of different “meeting skills” training sessions.

08/09/16.3  Request for 30mph speed limit at Nordalea

Gordon had been contacted by a member of the community to ask if there could be a 30mph speed limit on the roads close to Nordalea.  Gordon contacted Colin Gear, Shetland Islands Council, and he explained that there are various criteria which have to be met before a speed limit can be set for a specific piece of road.  They look at how many accidents have been on that stretch of road, the number of houses beside the road and a lot more criteria which this stretch of road doesn’t meet.  Mr Gear said that this road would not qualify for a 30mph speed limit.

08/09/16.4  Coastal Erosion in Uyeasound

Colin Smith, Planning Engineer Shetland Islands Council replied to our query about coastal erosion in Uyeasound.  He explains that “the principle responsibility for works to protect a house lies with the landowner under law and so, currently, any Council involvement with works or funding for protection of a private property would be dependent on a Council decision to take action in that specific case.  In similar circumstances in the recent past there has not been support from the Council to fund any coastal protection works, except where there is a clear Council duty or asset to protect.  The other route which may lead to Council funding is where works benefit or protect other Council infrastructure, so for example if SIC Roads felt that there was erosion risk to the public road they would have the option to carry out works from their own budgets.”

09/09/16.5  Community Ferry

Kellie Naulls, Unst Partnership, applied for a community ferry for the North Isles Award ceremony which is to be held on 18th November in Unst.  There were no objections to awarding this ferry.  The Clerk will contact Kellie to find out times for the runs to Yell and Fetlar.

09/09/16.6  ASCC bi-annual meeting 08/10/16

Gordon is planning to attend this meeting

09/09/16.7  Clerks Meeting

The Clerk didn’t attend this meeting because of bad weather.

09/09/16.8  Walk in Uyeasound

There is a broken stile out along from Brucehall in Uyeasound.  The Clerk will contact Kevin Serginson to ask if this is a Council walk.

 

The next meeting will be held on Monday 14th November 2016 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|