Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 26th March 2015 at 7 pm at the Baltasound School, Music Huts

 

Present:  

Gordon Thomson, Chairperson

Minnie Mouatt

John Peterson

Janice Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson

Gary Cleaver, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

 

Attending:

Josie McMillan, Clerk

 

01/03/15    Apologies:

Pat Burns, Vice Chair

Claire Priest

Raymond Priest

Steven Coutts, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Robert Henderson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

02/03/15    Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 26th February 2015 were approved, proposed by Minnie, seconded by Hazel.

03/03/15    Matters Arising from last minutes

10/08/14.6  Ambulance Provision in Unst

Gary explained that he had been at a meeting about the Scottish Ambulance Service.  It is proposed that across Scotland ambulance transport will only be provided based on clinical need only. 

05/02/15  Education Review Update  

A new parent’s council has been formed.  Victoria Mouat and Kathryn Marrish are the new joint chairs.  There was a discussion about what happens next with consultations etc. Everybody agreed that the consultations had been a waste of SIC money.  The item for Education Review will come off the Community Council monthly agenda but will be discussed when needed.  Members asked if the working group with membership made up from various groups e.g. Community Council had been set up.  This has not been done yet.

06/02/15  SIC Ferries

There will be a Transport seminar to discuss the ferry fares review between 22nd and 30th April.  This will involve various SIC departments that will be affected by the review. This will then go to the full council to be approved in May.  Gary said that Michael Craigie hopes to have a card scheme introduced later in the year.  This has been delayed because of staff shortages in the Ferries Department.  There was a discussion about the scheme which has been running on the Bressay Ferry for season tickets.  This scheme entitles the traveler one of three choices:-  unlimited Foot Travel for £46.00 per month (for 11 months per annum, with 12th month free); 15 Return Foot Journeys and 10 Return Car Journeys for £98.5 per month (for 11 months, with 12th month free);  unlimited Foot Travel and 20 Return Car Journeys for £130.80 per month (for 11 months, with 12th month free).  There had been a query as to whether Bressay residents were using their tickets on the other ferry routes.  Gary explained that the Bressay scheme had been a pilot with tickets being month specific, which wasn’t working that well.  He said that if you paid for one of the schemes you didn’t get any refund for days you didn’t travel. The scheme only worked for people who travel every day.  There hasn’t been a big take up from Bressay residents.

10/02/15.3  ASCC meeting 18th April 2015

Gordon and John will go to this meeting.

10/02/15.4  Bruno Peek – Fly a Flag for the Commonwealth

The Leisure Centre and the School flew the flag on Monday 9th March for Commonwealth Day.  There were pictures taken at both of these events.  Gordon has sent them on to Bruno Peek.

11/02/15.6 Streetlights

The streetlights along Gutter Street have now been removed.  Neil Hutcheson, SIC Roads, said that there was only one objection received from residents in the immediate area when it was consulted on in 2012.  He also said that the SIC had held a meeting in the Baltasound Hall on 18 June 2012 when members of the community could view the SIC’s plans.

04/03/15    Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Tom Morton has been appointed as the Tourism Development Officer.  He takes up his post on the 1st April 2015 for 6 months. He will work in Unst for two days a week and from home the rest.  The job remit is very specific in what has to be done.  Funding for the Development Officer post is due to finish in June this year,  although UP are in discussion with Fiona Stirling, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, about securing additional funding until March 2016, if UP can show there is a need for the Development Officer.  Megan has contacted groups about the Composting project, and is waiting to hear back from them.  

05/03/15    Application for Planning

There were no applications.

06/03/15    Application for Grants

Unst Partnership – Food Waste and Composting Project

It was agreed to give a grant of £500 towards the cost of this project.

The Finns Project

It was agreed to give a grant of £500 towards this project, which is a not for profit co-operative with charitable aims.  The aim is to set up a permaculture project which is open to all residents of Unst.

07/03/15    Community Council Finances

Community Development Fund (CDF)

The CDF application is in.  This will be decided in the week beginning the 6th April. There has been no word about the Community Council’s core funding budget.  The Clerk will email Michael Duncan, SIC, about this.

End of Year Finances

The end of year accounts will go to Voluntary Action Shetland for auditing next month.

08/03/15    A.O.C.B.

08/03/15.1 70th Anniversary VE Day Beacons Friday 8th May 2015

Bruno Peek, Pageant Master to the Queen, has asked the Community Council if Unst would light a beacon for the 70th Anniversary of VE Day.  The Community Council has agreed to do this.  There was a discussion about where the best site for the bonfire would be.  It was agreed that Saxa Vord would be the most visible and accessible.  After a discussion it was agreed that there should be a social event after lighting the bonfire.  Members will check with the Haroldswick Hall if they would put on a social evening.

08/03/15.2  ECHO Sound and Landscape Project

Emily Hamilton, Research Assistant, Heritage Visualisation, Digital Design Studio (DDS) at the Glasgow School of Art has contacted the Community Council about a project they are going to run in Unst this year. The theme of the project is “the natural history, history, myths, legends and folklore of Shetland, focusing on specific links to areas of the Unst landscape. The project will use art, digital technology and sound and will hopefully be a co-production effort, with community groups and individuals having a leading role in the project development.  The project aims to enhance visitors’ experience of the landscape without having a physical impact and without disrupting the enjoyment of a remote natural site. Their goal is to develop a mobile tool that holds natural sounds, stories and music that will help to express and interpret the intangible cultural heritage of this unique natural landscape. This content will be collected and produced by local communities and delivered using technology developed at the DDS.  The mobile tool will be accessible via a unique art object, which is to be conceived and developed by artists working in Shetland.”  Participating groups and individuals would work closely with the team from the DDS as well as the National Trust for Scotland. Members agreed that this sounds a very interesting project.  Several groups have already shown interest in this and have contact Ms Hamilton directly.

08/03/15.3  Vodafone 3G Network

Engineers from Vodafone have been in Unst looking at various sites.  The transmitter will be attached to buildings in various locations in Baltasound.  The signal doesn’t transmit through walls so this limits some of its range.  3G should work faster. It needs a BT line to work and each of the five sites will cost about £30 a year.

08/03/15.4  Shetland Amenity Trust Annual Report 2013/2014

This was noted.

08/03/15.5 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS). Retained Duty System (RDS) Recruitment campaigns

A letter was received from Billy Wilson, Local Senior Officer for Shetland, seeking support for raising awareness that the SFRS is embarking on a recruitment campaign.  Unst is not one of the areas that are being targeted.

08/03/15.6 Toilets at Belmont Ferry Terminal

The toilets at Belmont are in need of redecoration.   There is no light in the waiting room. Gary will bring this up at the Ferries meeting tomorrow.

08/03/15.7  Roads

The Ordale road has water sitting on it after heavy rain; it needs to have drainage slots cut along the verges so that the water can run away.  There is also concern about the edges of the Setters road which are wearing away, especially opposite the passing places.  The Clerk will write about this.

 

The next meeting will be held on Monday 27th April 2015 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|