Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 27th February 2017 at 7 pm in the Baltasound School, English Room

Present: 

Gordon Thomson

Pat Burns

John Peterson

Janice Priest

Raymond Priest

Hazel Spence

 

Attending:

Frances Browne, Community Learning and Development Officer

Josie McMillan, Clerk      

 

01/02/17   Apologies:

Minnie Mouatt

Claire Priest

Julie Thomson

Gary Cleaver, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Steven Coutts, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Robert Henderson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

 

02/02/17   Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 16th January 2017 were approved.  Proposed by Pat, seconded by Janice.

 

03/02/17   Matters Arising from last minutes

08/10/15.4  Sign at Belmont

Unst Youth Group has written to various businesses in Unst asking for donations towards the costs of replacing the mural at Belmont with a more permanent sign.  The cost of the replacement sign is going to be over £3000.

08/07/16.1 Lund Kirkyard

There has been no reply from the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) about the road to Lund.  NTS now own the land at Lund that the road is on.  The Clerk will email Steve Williams, from McJerrow and Stevenson, the attorneys who handles Joy Sandison’s affairs, about this as they passed the information from the Community Council on to the National Trust for Scotland.

08/11/16.2  HMS E-49 Memorial

Harry Edwards is organising the unveiling of this memorial for Sunday 12th March 2017 at 12.30pm.  It is situated just up past the Bus shelter at the Hamar Junction.  Workers from the Shetland Amenity Trust have started building the base for the plinth.  Harry has organised several people to speak at the service.  Alistair Carmichael, MP; Malcolm Bell, Convenor Shetland Islands Council; the Lord Lieutenant; plus Royal Navy personnel and relatives of the crewmen are all going to attend.  After the unveiling there will be soup and sandwiches at the Baltasound Hall.  There will also be a display of all the information Harry has researched to date.

08/12/16.2  Broadband Service in Unst

The Broadband Service in several areas of Unst is reported to be getting worse.  With a lot of people putting in complaints to BT about this, but not getting satisfactory responses.  Gordon attended a meeting about Broadband on Monday 6th February.  A representative from Scottish Community Broadband attended the meeting. The Scottish Market Reaching 100% programme – Open Market Review was discussed.  The Scottish Government are waiting to see who bids for the contract to roll out Broadband Services starting in 2018.  

08/01/17.2  ASCC Meeting 25th March 2017

The next meeting of the Association of Community Council is on Saturday 25th March 2017, at the Shetland Museum Auditorium.

08/01/17.3  Bottle Banks

William Spence, Environmental Manager, Shetland Islands Council answered our email about Bottle Banks.  He said that “the SIC has signed up to the Scottish Governments Household waste charter which has a code of practice for collecting the different types of waste. Since the council has signed up, Zero Waste Scotland is currently collecting information on their waste collections and are to come with a proposal they see best for Shetland.”  Mr Spence said that until they gather this information and produce a report the Council cannot say how or what methods will be used or put in place for collecting waste. 

08/01/17.4  Festive Ferry Timetable

Craig Robertson, SIC Ferries, replied to our queries about ferries over the Festive period.  Mr Robertson said that the Council hadn’t consulted with Community Council’s before publishing the Festive Timetable because they had replicated the 2015 timetable. He said that “they will endeavour where possible to liaise with Community Councils on significant timetable changes/variances, however under constraints of no additional cost/growth and would therefore seek to keep all timetable formats broadly in line with what has been previously published.” Where minor tweaks to improve service performance can be accommodated, Mr Robertson says they will gladly take a look at them.   Mr Robertson said that “they had endeavoured to keep information as up to date and relevant as possible considering the "perfect storm" that hit the whole of the Inter-island ferry network. On occasion, getting the vessel and passengers moving took priority over updating the voice bank - they will ensure in future that both are done in tandem.”

04/02/17   Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Gordon said that UP will have an application into HIE/LEADER before the 8th March 2017, which is the closing date for the next round of funding applications. UP will not hear if they have been successful until May.  The Skips project has finished for now, although Gordon hopes to that UP will be able to provide skips for another year, depending on whether they can secure funding.  UP is still taking donations of clothes for the refugee appeal.

05/02/17   Community Involvement Update

Frances Browne said that she had been working with a local group trying to secure funding for a project.  She said that Voluntary Action Scotland is running 3 courses in the North Isles.  These courses are advertised locally.  Fetlar community are undertaking a participatory budgeting project later this month, she will update the Community Council at the next meeting.  Frances said that Fetlar and Yell Communities are concerned about not having permanent doctors.  NHS Shetland is advertising for doctors for Unst and Yell.  She discussed whether it would be of benefit to set up a Patient Support Group in Unst.

06/02/17   Application for Donations

Unst Festival Committee – it was agreed to give a grant of £1000 towards the costs of advertising and promoting UnstFest.

Unst Youth Group – it was agreed to give a grant of £500 towards the costs of a replacement sign Belmont.

1st Unst Brownies – it was agreed to give a grant of £100 towards annual subscriptions cost and venue hire.

 

07/02/17   Application for Planning

Planning Ref: 2017/013/PPF

Proposal: Erection of a single storey dwelling house

Address: Uyeasound, Unst, Shetland

Applicant: Mrs Linda Thomson

Date of Consultation:  25 January 2017

There were no objections.

08/02/17   Community Council Finances

An up to date budget was discussed.  This year’s budget has now been spent.            

09/02/17   A.O.C.B.

09/02/17.1  SIC Surface Dressing, Re-Surfacing and Reconstruction Programme 2017

A letter was received from Dave Coupe, Executive Manager SIC Roads.  He lists all the roads which are scheduled to have surface dressing done this year.   The roads listed are:

Caldback Hill; Little Hamar Junction to Hagdale Bend; Beach Road, Haroldswick; Millfield Road, Norwick; Buddabrake, Burrafirth; Stove, Burrafirth; Houll Road to Heritage Centre; Baliasta Road (Kirkyard to Houlland); Gue Road, Baliasta; Nord Rd: A968 Junction to School; School to Baliasta Crossroads; Setters Hill (Main) Road to Halligarth; Houllnan, Westing; Easter Loch to East Uyeasound Junction and the Belmont Road.

09/02/17.2  Action Shetland – Training Courses in the North Isles

Voluntary Action Shetland are running three training courses in for the North Isles. 

Organisational structures for 3rd sector and voluntary organisations – 14th March in the Uyeasound Hall.  Treasurer’s Training and Management Committee roles are on the 22nd March and 19th April respectively in the Mid Yell School.

09/02/17.3  Shetland Charitable Trust “consultation” by OSCR

This was noted.

09/02/17.4  Northern Isles Digital Forum- Shetland (22nd April 2017)

Gordon is planning to attend this meeting.

09/02/17.5  NHS Shetland – Advert for GP vacancies

This was discussed and noted.  There are now adverts nationally for these posts.

09/02/17.6  Review of Support to Association of Shetland Community Councils

A report from the SIC proposes a number of changes which will directly affect Community Councils and Voluntary Action Shetland (VAS).  This report states the need for a Community Council Liaison Officer.  The duties of this officer would replace those done at present by VAS.  The Community Council was copied into an email from Catherine Hughson to the Executive Manager Community Planning and Development.  In this email Ms Hughson states that “their role has been much more than an administration service with not only the secretary role, but the executive officer and team leader have also supported and represented the ASCC.”  She also says that there is no evidence to support the implications in the report that Community Workers will provide a better or cheaper support service than that currently provided by VAS. She concludes by saying that dependant on the outcome of this review they could be in a position where VAS is unable to continue its liaison and support role to the ASCC.

09/02/17.7  Roads

The road at Upper Sotland in Burrafirth has been damaged by heavy vehicles using the road.  The bend in the road is being worn away.  There seems to be a blocked cross drain as there is water standing       at the top of the road. The road at the top of the Setters was also discussed.  There is a part of this road that is higher or level with the top of the dyke around the park.  Members wondered if there could be a barrier put up.

09/02/17.8  Shetland Amenity Trust

The Clerk is to write to the Amenity Trust to ask what cars they uplift.  There is a lot of confusion about this.

The next meeting will be held on Monday 27th March 2017 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|