Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 3rd  December 2015 at 7 pm at the Baltasound School, Music Huts

 

Present:  

Gordon Thomson,

Minnie Mouatt

Claire Priest

Janice Priest

Raymond Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson

 

Attending:

Toby Sandison, Unst Partnership

Josie McMillan, Clerk     

 

01/12/15    Apologies:

Pat Burns

John Peterson

Gary Cleaver, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Robert Henderson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Steven Coutts, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

 

02/12/15    Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 9th November 2015 were approved.

 

03/12/15    Matters Arising from last minutes

07/05/15.6 Meeting for North Isles Community Councils – Emergency timetable Bluemull Sound

The emergency timetable for Bluemull Sound is now available on the Council website. 

http://shetland.gov.uk/ferries/timetable.asp

09/05/15.6  Windsock

The Clerk will contact Gary to ask if he has made any progress with this.

07/07/15.4 Historic Environment Scotland – turning place at Muness

There has still be no reply to any of the letters about this.  The Clerk will phone the head office in Edinburgh about this.

06/09/15.6  Roads

There was a discussion about various road matters.  It was decided to write to the Council about the following: - verging at the top of the Mailland Strodie and around Easter Loch; water standing on the road at Hagdale; the verges in the Setters; Wester Beach road and a pothole at Hamar.  It was also agreed to write and ask if there could be metal barriers, similar to those at Belmont, put in leading into the concrete parapet at Haroldswick, at the bottom of the Post Office road. 

08/10/15.4 Sign and Musical Boat, Belmont

It was agreed to scrap the Musical Boat as it is in a poor state of repair and look at replacing it in the spring. Gordon will follow this up.

08/11/15.2  Energy Isles Ltd – Paul Riddell and Derek Jamieson

There was a discussion about whether to write a letter of support to Energy Isles.  Paul Riddell had asked about this at the last meeting.  He explained that Fergus Ewing, Minister for Business, Energy and Tourism, had asked if the project was supported by the local community.  When told it was he asked if he could get letters from the North Isles Community Councils showing their support?  It was decided to write the letter of support explaining that the present Community Council was supportive of the project.  Consultations with the community would also need to be undertaken.  Members would like to see the plans/blueprints for the project.  There is still uncertainty about whether the interconnector to Shetland will go ahead.  The Community Council is keen to support development and jobs for Unst. 

08/11/15.4  Shetland Community Benefit Fund

Gordon was unable to attend this meeting because of the weather.

 

04/12/15    Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Toby Sandison, UP, said that UP is advertising for a North Isles Tourism Officer.  Funding for this one year post has come from the Coastal Communities fund.  It is hoped to apply for further funding for years two and three from other funding sources, e.g. HIE.  Toby said that there has been some interest in this job.  Verona is back on Monday after her maternity leave.  The Winter Festival is on from the 11th – 13th December.  This has been organized by Megan on behalf of Unst Partnership as a way of extending the season for visitors.  It is hoped to attract people from other parts of Shetland.   There is another skip day planned for the 12th December and there are three more planned for 2016.

 

05/12/15    Application for Donations

05/12/15.1  Uyeasound Hall

It was agreed to give a donation of £126 towards the costs of the Uyeasound Hall Christmas party.

 

06/12/15    Application for Planning

There were no applications for planning.

 

07/12/15    Community Council Finances

The accounts will be looked at in more detail at the next meeting.

 

08/12/15    A.O.C.B.

08/12/15.1  SIC – Road to Loch of Cliff, Baliasta

A letter from Neil Hutcheson, SIC Roads, explained that the Council propose to remove the Loch of Cliff Road at Baliasta from the Council's list of Public Roads.  He said that “this road only serves a derelict pier at the loch side”.  There were no objections raised about removing this road from the Council list.  The Clerk will write to Neil Hutcheson stating this.

08/12/15.2  Police Report

PC Visser, Community Officer for the North Isles and North Mainland, emailed to ask if there were any police issues or concerns which need to be dealt with in Unst.  He has also asked if there are any festive events or functions which the community would like a police presence at.

08/12/15.3  Baltasound Pier

There was a discussion about the state of the Baltasound Pier.  There is an old container which would need to be removed as it is falling apart.  It was agreed to write to Balta Island Seafare about this, suggesting they ask the Amenity Trust remove it.   

 

The next meeting will be held on Monday 11th January 2016 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|