Unst Community Council   Unst Community Council
Unst Community Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 19th January 2015 at 7 pm at the Baltasound School, Music Huts

 

Present:  

Gordon Thomson, Chairperson

Pat Burns, Vice Chair

Minnie Mouatt

John Peterson

Claire Priest

Janice Priest

Raymond Priest

Hazel Spence

Julie Thomson – attended 8.45 pm

Gary Cleaver, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

 

Attending:

Lindsay Tulloch, Police Scotland Shetland Area Commander

Josie McMillan, Clerk

 

01/01/15    Apologies:

Steven Coutts, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

Robert Henderson, North Isles Councillor (ex-officio)

02/01/15    Elect Vice Chair

Gordon explained the Vice Chair’s duties.   After a discussion Pat agreed to accept the position of Vice Chairperson.  She was proposed by Janice and seconded by Minnie.

03/01/15    Community Council Code of Conduct and Administration

A copy of the Code of Conduct was given to the new Community Councillors.  This was discussed in detail.

04/01/15    Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 27th November 2014 were approved.  Proposed by Pat, seconded by Janice.

05/01/15    Matters Arising from last minutes

09/05/9.7  Baltasound Pier pontoon

The Boating Club committee do not want to take on the responsibility of applying for funding for a new pontoon and the subsequent maintenance costs.  The money taken in from visiting yachts is minimal and does not cover costs.  There is funding available for this type of project - replacing/renewing the pontoon, but it needs to be applied for through a community group.  Members queried whether the Boating Club Marina committee would be interested in taking on responsibility for getting the new pontoon.  It was suggested that this could be discussed at their AGM in April.  Gary was asked if the SIC could replace the pontoon, as the damaged one belongs to them.  He said that this would be a big project for the SIC as the income from the pontoon had been minimal.  There was also the problem that the SIC only wanted to replace the pontoon in its original position which was unsuitable for the exiting pier users.  It was agreed to write to Andrew Inkster, SIC Harbours and ask them to remove the old pontoon.  The SIC is unhappy with the state of the pier, so need to organise to have the pontoon removed.  The streetlights at the pier are not working.  The Clerk will email Andrew Inkster about this as well.

09/11/14.2  Local landscape Areas

The Community Council put in an objection on the grounds that it might hinder or prevent future development in these areas.  Details of the Shetland Local Development Plan can be viewed at the Council’s website at www.shetland.gov.uk/ldp.  Local Landscape Area details viewed at  http://www.shetland.gov.uk/planning/documents/ShetlandLLDRFinalReport.pdf

10/08/14.6  Ambulance Provision in Unst

The ambulance is still based at the garage but will be move to a new base at the Fire station shortly.  There will be nine people on the ambulance rota, when all outstanding training is completed.

13/11/14.5 Derek Mackay Scottish Government’s Islands Minister

The Clerk will write and invite Mr Mackay to a meeting with the Community Council.

07/11/14  Ferry Fares Review – Michael Craigie

Members were disappointed with feedback from the meeting with Messrs Craigie, Stout and Matthew.  Members queried why the SIC use the services of consultants and the additional cost of this.  Gary explained that the Ferries Department is constrained by having to achieve cost neutral outcomes.  If fares are reduced to one set of users, then the shortfall in income needs to be added to another user group.  The multi journey tickets are being removed from sale in April on the instruction of Audit Scotland. There is no indication of what system will replace this.

12/01/15    A.O.C.B.

12/01/15.2  Police Report

Lindsay Tulloch, Shetland Area Commander Police Scotland, attended the meeting.  He explained that PC Ian Browne was the first point of contact for Police issues in the North Isles.  He explained that PCs Brown and Smith were involved in community policing and would be visiting Unst on a regular basis.  They will use the Community response vehicle and will advertise when they are coming.  Chief Inspector Tulloch said that there is not a lot of reported crime in Unst, most recent visits had been in relation to renewal of Firearms Licenses.  Gary asked if there would be an increased presence in Unst in summer when there was a big increase in population with visitors and tourists.  Chief Inspector Tulloch explained that there was a lot of pressure on Police numbers at present, with all the extra construction workers and members were deployed as needed.  Chief Inspector Tulloch was asked why the Customs Service had been reduced when there is an increasing problem with drugs.  He explained that there is still one customs officer in Shetland.  The Police conduct drug checks at Northlink and the airport.  Chief Inspector Tulloch was asked what the plans for the police house were.  He said that it will be used as a base when the Police are in Unst working or staying overnight.  Chief Inspector Tulloch was asked if there was an emergency plan for Unst.  He explained that the Chief Fire Officer would, in most cases, be in charge of the situation until the Police could get to Unst to co-ordinate the emergency services.  Chief Inspector Tulloch said that the Shetland Emergency Planning group meet regularly and prepare for any emergency.  Gordon thanked Chief Inspector Tulloch for attending the meeting.  He left the meeting at 8.05pm.  

06/01/15    Unst Partnership (UP) Update

Gordon explained that Megan Burns has been appointed to cover Verona Shaw’s maternity cover at UP.  The post for Tourism Development Officer is being advertised at the moment.  The funding for this post is from Crown Estate and has to be approved by the Treasury.  Ross Gazey has compiled a report for UP on energy usage in 8 local buildings.  His report looks at ways of saving energy.  UP is still looking at broadband provision in the North Isles.  Alistair Cooper, SIC, has said that BT will be improving services to 95% of Shetland: this will not include Unst or North Yell.  The Community Council is going to write to BT and complain about the poor broadband provision in Unst.  BT will not say which areas they are going to improve supply to. Gary explained that the lack of a good broadband service will hamper business services and the increasing use of online Government and other services.   Gordon explained that there was a lot of the community who were willing to pay for Skip services.  UP has applied to Scottish Seafarms for funding for a project which will provide community skip provision.  Gordon explained that the UP polytunnels are now mostly used as allotments.  The covering of two of the tunnels blew away last year.

07/01/15    Education Review Update

The Education and Families Committee is going to discuss a proposal to postpone school consultations until after the new Anderson High School is built and the Shetland Learning Partnership plans to integrate secondary and tertiary education have been completed in 2017.  Gary said that he was hopeful that this proposal would be approved unanimously by the Education and Families Committee.  Parents will not have to pay to put their children there instead of their local secondary school.

08/01/15    SIC Ferries

Colin Manson, Ferries, emailed out a copy of the summer time table.  This looks very much the same as last year’s one.  The Bigga returned to service on Saturday.  The Fivla has still not been repaired.  The first 3 hour strike by ferry crews is this Wednesday between 5.45 and 8.45 am.  This will escalate to 6 hours strike on Wednesday 4th February 2015 from 5.45 to 11.45 am. 

09/01/15    Application for Planning

There were no applications for planning.

10/01/15    Application for Donation

There were no applications for donations.

11/01/15    Community Council Finances

The spreadsheet showing budget and expenditure to date was discussed.  There is still some funding available for community/voluntary groups.  It was agreed to advertise this before the next meeting.

12/01/15    A.O.C.B.

12/01/15.1  Island Parish

Eliana Lafone, from Tiger Aspect Productions, contacted the clerk to say that they are are hoping to film the next series of the BBC2 show ‘An Island Parish’ in Shetland.  ‘An Island Parish’ is an observational documentary series which focuses on the church and community on remote islands. She explained that they have recently finished filming their 9th and 10th series in the Falklands and hope to broadcast it in the spring. Clips from previous series and more details about the show can be found on the website at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t6m6. Representatives from Tiger Aspect Productions contacted the Community Council last year about the possibility of filming in Unst.  Someone from the show was in Unst last summer checking out different events and venues.  They intend to travel up at the beginning of February to film the Up Helly Aas.  The clerk gave them contact details for both the Norwick and Uyeasound Jarls and a list of community events planned for 2015.  Ms Lafone has contacted various people in the community and is keen to speak to people about local events.

12/01/15.3  Shetland Transport Strategy Refresh – Stage 1 Initial Consultation

Zetrans is going to refresh the Shetland Transport Strategy.  They have appointed Natural Capital Ltd to facilitate this process.   Dr Annie Say from Natural Capital Ltd contacted the Community Council to explain that stakeholder workshops will be held in the new year to discuss and agree priorities, issues and actions for the refreshed Transport Strategy.  Dr Say asked Community Councils to let them know what has worked well in the existing strategy; what could have been improved; what has changed in the policy framework since 2008 which might be important to consider in the Refresh and what Community Council’s initial thoughts are on the important issues to address in the workshops. 

12/01/15.4 Streetlights

The streetlights along the back road of Baltasound are not working.  This has been reported to the Roads Department.

It was agreed to write to Elizabeth Johnson and congratulate her on being awarded an MBE.  It was also agreed to congratulate Brydon Thomason on being awarded a Five Star accolade by Visit Scotland.  They are the first and only company in Shetland to achieve this grade from a national tourism organisation and they are only one of four Wildlife Experience companies in Scotland to have achieved a Five Star grading.

 

The next meeting will be held on Thursday 26th February 2015 at 7.00 pm in the Baltasound School

| Logo : The Scottish Government | | Logo : Leader Plus | Logo : Project part financed by the european union| Logo : Voluntary Action Shetland| Logo : Shetland Charitable Trust|